This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

I'm Having a Panel Notification-Related Bug; Can't Identify.

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
Shadow_8472
Registered Member
Per title: I've been having a plasma-related crash I cannot identify. It started around the same time on my PopOS and Manjaro systems -- both running KDE, but PopOS got frequent enough to draw my focus a couple days ago, crashing as many as five times yesterday evening.

Crash Description
Panel becomes totally unresponsive or graphically updating.
Windows and cursor behave normally in relation to panel.
Crash is often accompanied by a black box in the shape of a notification box.
TTY's can be used to reboot, but their use may inflame the crash.
I can reboot using systemrequests.

I have created a restart script in /usr/bin/panel-restart per the below link that successfully patches the problem if I can get to a terminal from within the same X server, but I haven't tried the recommended keyboard shortcut yet.
https://www.addictivetips.com/ubuntu-linux-tips/fix-kde-plasma-panel-crash/

PopOS 22.04
KDE Plasma Version 5.24.6
KDE Frameworks Version 5.92.0
Qt Version 5.15.5
X11

I am presently suspect of correlation with Discord's high volume of notification traffic.
I cannot reproduce the bug at will.
I am having difficulty following instructions on producing a backtrace (cannot find mentioned debug packages).
I do not know if this bug is in the bug tracker, nor can I be sure of the vocabulary to look it up.

Thank you in advance.

Edit:
I woke up this morning to this, and produced this screenshot while in the crashed state. Spectacle came up blacked out except for window boarders, but Ctrl+S worked. The blur on icons and Firefox tabs is my own. The clock was around 12 hours behind.
Shadow_8472
Registered Member
A couple updates:

1. I'm marginally confident I can reliably reproduce this bug by leaving Discord open overnight without also running full-screen games (namely Kerbal Space Program).

2. One morning, I found my computer crashed with this bug, and the notification was displaying stars from Kerbal's main menu, which I had exited out of last thing the night prior.
dinko
Registered Member
I'm experiencing the exact same bug.
I also use discord but I have also noticed it sometimes crash when displaying Vivaldi Mail new mail notification message.

Replacing the build in notification system via installing dunst fixes it for me but I would appreciate any tips on how to further debug this issue.

Operating System: Arch Linux
KDE Plasma Version: 5.26.4
KDE Frameworks Version: 5.100.0
Qt Version: 5.15.7
Graphics Platform: X11
Processors: 16 × AMD Ryzen 7 5800H with Radeon Graphics
agusttt
Registered Member
Hello.

Did any of you guys manage to find what is causing this?

I've been having this issue for months now, I assume is something specifically related to an update, due to the post date. My symptoms are the same as yours, and I cannot find anything to debug or trace. It's graphical, desktop keeps running for apps that are already running, but cannot open anything new and if it opens it's all black.

I posted on reddit about this but did not have any luck: https://www.reddit.com/r/kde/comments/125roza/kde_bug_freezes_desktop_how_to_debug/

At some point having no clue at all, I left the computer on all the weekend with no software open (everything closed manually) hoping it will not hang, but to my surprise the black notification box was there.

I believe something triggers a notification that plasmashell notification cannot process and it crashes, but no idea how to even trace that.