This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

Plasma Intel Wayland hesitates opening applications

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
zadeis13
Registered Member
OS
Hello I'm new and and after searching around on google I can't seem to find this discussed anywhere so I figured I would bring it up here and potentially file a bug report in the appropriate place if it hasn't been already. If it has please point me to the bug report so I can contribute any information I can.

I am using Intel onboard graphics and have been trying Wayland on both my desktop and laptop and vary degrees of success however with this post I want to focus on my laptop. My system is as follows:

Kubuntu 22.10
KDE Plasma 5.25 and later 5.26.3 via KDE back ports
Intel i7-9750H with UHD 630 graphics
Nvidia 1650 DGPU (however it's disabled under Kubuntu via Nvidia control panel)
16GB RAM
SK Hynix P31 Gold NVMe drive

When using X11 I would say applications open more and less instantaneously. Judging by the bouncing icon indicator it may bounce for half to 3/4 of the whole animation before opening whatever application I selected such as System Settings or Dolphin.

However, on Wayland an application can take upwards of 3 to 5 seconds to open. At first I thought it was TLP modifying something however upon disabling it and ensuring the power profile was set to performance the problem persisted. Switching back to X11 once again did not exhibit the issue. Changing the compositor latency setting makes no difference.

I decided to install the KDE spin of Fedora 37 beta to compare to since it has enabled Wayland by default. Upon loading the live disk and opening an application they opened immediately. I confirmed via the settings app that I was running plasma 5.25.4. After installing and upgrading the system to the latest packages and restarted, plasma was then 5.26.2 and still did not exhibit the slow to open application behavior like in Kubuntu.

Next I decided to install KDE Neon to go back to a Ubuntu based distro to see if the issue persisted there. After wrestling with it to install since the installer crashed or wouldn't boot after I finally installed it with EXT4 (as originally I was trying to use btrfs but that's a separate discussion). Once again on wayland applications were hesitant to open. I'm thinking that something unique to Ubuntu isn't playing nice but I don't have enough technical knowledge to diagnose it further.

So in the end has this problem/behavior been documented anywhere? I'm more than happy to help diagnose it since I get the feeling I'm not the only one experiencing this. Just give me the guidance and I'll follow through the best I can.
limeboii
Registered Member
OS
G'day - Just want to say that I'm having the same issues - running manjaro kde on a powerful machine. When running in X11 apps start immediately, wayland they are slow to launch. I've noticed this is only when launching through plasma, when launching an app from the terminal (konsole) it is instant.

This is mainly noticed with Global Shortcuts - screenshotting an area via keyboard shortcuts takes ~5 seconds, same with opening my clipboard manager copyq. But yeah opening from the terminal is instant.

Operating System: Manjaro Linux
KDE Plasma Version: 5.26.3
KDE Frameworks Version: 5.99.0
Qt Version: 5.15.7
Kernel Version: 6.0.8-arch1-3-surface (64-bit)
Graphics Platform: Wayland
Processors: 8 × Intel® Core™ i7-1065G7 CPU @ 1.30GHz
Memory: 31.0 GiB of RAM
Graphics Processor: Mesa Intel® Iris® Plus Graphics
Manufacturer: Microsoft Corporation
Product Name: Surface Book 3
System Version: 124I:00037T:000M:0200000D:0B:05F:1C:05P:48S:01E:0Y:1K:0U:00R:2
limeboii
Registered Member
OS
Just an update. After switching to EndeavourOs from Manjaro there is no longer any hesitation when opening apps in wayland. Unfortunately not sure what changed, was on latest plasma version in Manjaro as well.

Operating System: EndeavourOS
KDE Plasma Version: 5.26.4
KDE Frameworks Version: 5.101.0
Qt Version: 5.15.7
Kernel Version: 6.0.12-arch1-1 (64-bit)
Graphics Platform: Wayland
Processors: 8 × Intel® Core™ i7-1065G7 CPU @ 1.30GHz
Memory: 30.9 GiB of RAM
Graphics Processor: Mesa Intel® Iris® Plus Graphics
Manufacturer: Microsoft Corporation
Product Name: Surface Book 3
System Version: 124I:00037T:000M:0200000D:0B:05F:1C:05P:48S:01E:0Y:1K:0U:00R:2