This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

inexplicable wierdness - all sorts of wierd! >:D

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
nohspamjose
Registered Member
I have been a long time user of OpenSUSE, moving from Leap stable versions to Tumbleweed CU stream last year.
I have until recently used an NVidia GeForce 760 GTX GPU but I got so fed up with the manual reconfig, every time there was a kernel upgrade. Especially frequent on Tumbleweed. I decided to upgrade to an AMD Radeon RX6650 XT, to avoid this regular pain in the neck. After repeatedly trying a manual reconfig to get it working, and failing every time, I reinstalled the OS and apart from apparently having to disable ACPI this seemed to work, in that I have dual 4k screens up and running and I can control them.

However...

since then I have had a bunch of weird symptoms that I can't work out how to diagnose, work out if there's a correlation, find convincing explanations for, etc. It's very odd and I don't quite know what to post to get some help. It's very nebulous. Here's a bit of a list:
  1. At random times, when the desktop goes into screen-saver or perhaps screen-lock (shortly after), I can log in from the lock screen but when I do, it returns to the lock screen without the login fields but instead a button that says 'unlock'. Pressing that sometimes unlocks and sometimes just hangs - in which case sometimes a Ctrl+double backspace kills X and I can login or I have to reboot (Alt+SysRq+S/U/B)
  2. Desktop config doesn't stick. For example, at random times, my desktop switches from 'Desktop' mode to 'Folder' mode and the wallpaper reverts to the default
  3. The Plasma default toolbar does strange things - e.g. the main application menu sometimes won't open or sometimes opens adjacent to it's sibling widget on the other screen.
    [4]At random times, the cursor refuses to render over Firefox (until I recycle Firefox)
    [5]Random application closures (when machine enters screen lock, I think - never see it happen)

I desperately want to fix this. The research so far vaguely hints at it possibly being back-level firmware on my motherboard or ACPI being off or a dodgy disk. I don't even know where to start, so suggestion of what to post would be welcome. Ideally, I'd like ACPI on again.

Here are the basics:
Code: Select all
dmidecode -t baseboard
# dmidecode 3.4
Getting SMBIOS data from sysfs.
SMBIOS 2.7 present.

Handle 0x0002, DMI type 2, 15 bytes
Base Board Information
        Manufacturer: Gigabyte Technology Co., Ltd.
        Product Name: Z97X-SLI-CF

<snipped/>

Handle 0x0022, DMI type 10, 6 bytes
On Board Device Information
        Type: Video
        Description:    To Be Filled By O.E.M.

Handle 0x003C, DMI type 41, 11 bytes
Onboard Device
        Reference Designation:  Onboard LAN
        Type: Ethernet
        Type Instance: 1
        Bus Address: 0000:00:19.0

----
Code: Select all
uname -a: Linux TRANQUILITY.lan 6.0.10-1-default #1 SMP PREEMPT_DYNAMIC Sat Nov 26 17:59:17 UTC 2022 (582305b) x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux
Graphics: Wayland
Plasma: 5.26.4
CPU: 4xIntel core i7 4790k
KDE: 5.100.0
kernel: 6.0.10-1
Qt: 5.15.7

I have tried:
  • renamed /home/me/.kde5 (though it seems to have disappeared completely now!? perhaps forgot what I called it??)
  • looked for, and failed to find more up-to-date firmware
  • wondering if I'll need to upgrade my motherboard, processor and memory
nohspamjose
Registered Member
Additional symptoms

Plasma keeps crashing!
I remembered seeing a graphics acceleration error message but don't recall the details (Mesa, maybe) - anyhoo things seem to be pretty slooow!