This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

Link to DOCX/XLSX file becomes a link to a Zip archive

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
dshin
Registered Member
Hi there,

Currently on the following:
- Kubuntu 22.10 (w/ Kubuntu Backports PPA enabled)
- KDE Plasma 5.26.5
- KDE Frameworks 5.102.0
- Qt 5.15.6
- Kernel 6.1.12 (Liquorix)
- X11

Whenever I create a link to a DOCX/XLSX/PPTX file located anywhere on my system, the link itself opens up as a Zip archive.

For example:
1. Foo.XLSX is located at /home/Documents/foo.xlsx
2. Right-click on the Desktop (or, indeed, in any other folder) >> Create New >> Link to File or Directory
3. Create a link to Foo.XLSX
4. The link itself appears with a Zip archive icon, and when clicked upon will open the XLSX file in Ark.
5. The original Foo.XLSX opens - as expected - in LibreOffice Calc.

I'm conscious that MS Office XML files *are* essentially archive files, but this should still not be recognised as an archive when the default app to open such file types (LibreOffice) is installed and working fine. Has anyone else noticed this issue?

TIA!
huxleywelles
Registered Member
OS
Sorry if this is a bit late, but I am running into the same exact problem.

I'm running:
Manjaro 22.0.5 "Sikaris"
Linux Kernel 6.1.19-1
KDE Plasma 5.103.0

I had never tried creating links to my .xlsx files until this morning, so I just noticed this issue. I tried setting the default program for xlsx, xls, etc. to LibreOffice Calc, but Ark still opens it thinking it is a zip archive. I spent a fair amount of time searching this morning and didn't find anything until I specifically searched for KDE and this issue (rather than Manjaro and the issue), that is what brought me to your post.
You are definitely not alone! I'm going to keep troubleshooting this, and if I come up with an answer, I'll post it here.

Best,
Huxley