This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

Browser with touch interface

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
mers
Registered Member

Browser with touch interface

Thu Mar 02, 2023 12:31 pm
I have been a KDE user a long time ago. The hassles with KDE 4 (bad responsiveness, akonadi and nepomuk eating up all CPU, kmail unable to read its own email archive any more, etc.) made me switch to XFCE and I did not look back for a long time. Now I'm looking for a way to use my Lenovo X1 Yoga in tablet mode, and I read a lot of good things about current KDE.

So I've installed Debian testing now, giving me KDE 5.27. I enabled wayland and installed eekboard. And what should I say ... I'm **REALLY** impressed and excited. I guess I will finally be back to KDE!

The virtual keyboard input by eekboard works nicely so far. Except in firefox (I know it's not a qt program). So what is your recommendation here? Is there a way to make the eekboard on-screen keyboard automatically (or manually) pop up when tapping into a text box in firefox? Should I switch to another virtual keyboard? Should I switch to another browser? (But let me mention that I really need something comparable to the uBlock Origin plugin...)
adonis
Registered Member

Re: Browser with touch interface

Thu Mar 02, 2023 2:01 pm
maybe you should switch to KDE Neon and try here? it's operating on Xorg not Wayland
mers
Registered Member

Re: Browser with touch interface

Mon Mar 06, 2023 8:45 am
Thanks for the pointer to KDE Neon. I just downloaded and started "KDE Neon Testing" from an USB drive. Unfortunately, my impression is that there is no tablet-specific functionality activated by default. I don't get a virtual keyboard, neither in qt nor in non-qt-programs. Also, no automatic screen rotation (something which I'm also missing in my Debian instalation). But it is not a surprise to me as apparently, wayland is needed / beneficial for this kind of functionality.