This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

Plasmoids sharing between devices mockup

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
alex-l
Registered Member
OS
Time ago I made this mockup about plasmoids sharing between Plasma and (at that time hypothetical) Plasma Mobile. The idea is the plasmoids in a Plasma session can be viewed in the add plasmoid dialog of an other Plasma session. Example of use: I add to my mobile home screen some plasmoids (clock, weather, rss feed etc) and then I can link this home set to a "container plasmoid" (as in the mockup) , so I can view my home screen plasmoids on my desktop and if I change they in a device they change also in the other. it could use KDE Connect to share this information between devices. This system could be use also to share plasmoids config between different workstations powered by Plasma (i.e. home pc and office pc). What do you think about this?
sebas
KDE Developer
OS
I think this has two aspects:

- Sharing plasmoids, much like installing the same app on another machine

- Sharing data (this would need some data transport, for example through kdeconnect, and a normalization of data, could be a bit like DBus)

Great idea, and this ties in nicely with the idea of the phone and the desktop working together. Plasma can really push the limit here by developing the workspaces for phone and desktop in tandem, and even sharing most of the code between both.

-- sebas
zanny
Registered Member
OS
sebas wrote:sharing most of the code between both.

I think it might be more macro than just sharing between two devices, though.

In theory nothing stops Plasma Mobile from doing the converged device metaphor, where if / when you plug it into a larger display and pair it with a keyboard and mouse it switches into the desktop plasmashell. Preferably in a way that lets you still access your phone apps, and where any apps that can scale between the two do so seamlessly.

On that front, you want some kind of consistent plasmoid state across all KDE connected devices, including the same devices mobile / desktop modes. Definitely having a mobile tray that stays consistent across devices sounds slick.
sebas
KDE Developer
OS
I agree, and the switchable shell was one of the architectural goals of Plasma 5. The code is there (in fact we're already using the exact same binary on desktop and phone), but we haven't implemented the switching yet. That's kind of a last mile thing, I suppose we'll see this appearing somewhen in the coming year.

-- sebas