This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

for me the plasma mobile should have...

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
archgalileu
Registered Member
OS
Hello all 

I am very happy that finally plasma is coming to my phone. 

About that some ideas...

• main concern in a phone is comunication, so, I use BlackBerry and what I love about it is the HUB
It aggregates everything that comunicates. 
This, for me, is a base point, then on top, of it, all the plasma flavour. 

To be easy to compose, than choose from what, to who, no attachment limit (of course size limits from the service provider)

Easy to flag and follow on calendar...

This are the things for me and mines that are fundamental to gain traction.

If it is possible this it will be perfect and my finally great choice of phone OS 

Best regards
ArchGalileu
Heiko Tietze
Registered Member
OS
So you understand your phone as kind of 'Kontact mobile'? Plus the addition of audio communication.
archgalileu
Registered Member
OS
Yes, kind of.

Kontact with aggregation of all comunications, like this, there is no need to jump from app to app to see what happens in chronological order, kind of "Activities" but organized by minute to minute.

So like that i know i add something on the morning and there is no need to jump from apps to know what communication exchange happened.

Best regards
ArchGalileu
leszek1337
Registered Member
OS
I also like the BlackBerry Hub a lot.

Though an every running Messaging App for everything eats up a lot of RAM and battery.
I know BlackBerry pushed boundarys over the years to make it slimmer and more efficient.

Though I think the Plasma Mobile is not business oriented product in contrast to BlackBerry OS 10.
So the mantra Simple by default, powerful when needed should apply here aswell.
This means no second BlackBerry Hub in Plasma Notifications running all the time but intelligent notification center with quick methods to reply to a message. And separate E-Mail, SMS/MMS, Instant Messaging Apps that basically have the power necessary by some users.
archgalileu
Registered Member
OS
Hello leszek1337

I use Plasma for personal and business, and what i can do is choose how i do it.

So on Plasma Mobile, and i know it is an extra touch compared to Plasma desktop,but in fact even desktop will win with great integration of comunnications.

Like you know in the BB HUB you can, if you like, filter by "app" or you can go by "icon" to just what you want.

What i lov in my ArchLinux Plasma is all th modular way, the choices, and so, why not? From the beginning with possibilities, and all the power and apps that we already know?

Best regards
ArchGalileu
xnike
Registered Member
I'm also a user of BB10 and even app developer for it (I'm using Java on my primary job), I think that something like "BB Hub" and improved "BB Blend" (kdeconnect) will be great features of Plasma Mobile.

BlackBerry10 developers told that in internal BB Hub is just a single application that receives / shows notifications from applications in a smart way (RPC by using simple REST) and open applications with specific context (sms thread with person / private chat / group chat / state of the application and many other examples). Not all applications should work all the time in the background and consuming battery.

Jolla users advise me that there is almost the same concept for BB Hub in Sailfish OS and Meego: Feeds / Events List.
sebas
KDE Developer
OS
I, too, like the BB10 Hub a lot.

I think a bit further down the road, once we get Akonadi running at a decent performance (both RAM and CPU), this becomes a serious option. It would be cool if we could push all messages (email, sms, whatsapp, etc.) through Akonadi and have it show us one overview of what went on when we didn't constantly look at our phone.

With current Akonadi, this may, as Leszek notes, become too heavy, but I think it becomes a serious option if Akonadi Next pans out well.

-- sebas