This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

Instead of Yes/No Dialogs Timers

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
leszek1337
Registered Member
OS

Instead of Yes/No Dialogs Timers

Tue Aug 11, 2015 11:53 am
Instead of Yes/No Dialogs ("Do you really want to delete this") I would appreciate some kind of timer like on SailfishOS.
There seems to be no Component predefined for now as I noticed by porting my Noto (Note and Todo app) over to Plasma Mobile.

Here is a small mockup on how it should look like.
The circle is basically a progressbar showing the time left corresponding to the number in the circle (which shows the seconds).
Then there is the normal text Like Saving or Removing or Overwriting or whatever you want.
And the Cancel button to actually cancel the action.

So basically for developers there should be a component like TimerPopup with
  • a configurable delay (Time in seconds) [If time is up applyAction is signaled and can be catched with onApplyAction]
  • text (normal text variable)
  • Cancel Button (onClicked: signaling cancelPressed so you can catch it with onCancelPressed)

Not sure if we still need to show an icon. Ideas regarding this are appreciated.

http://abload.de/img/remove-timerv8xwd.png

As I want and need such a feature for my Noto app I will start very soon implementing something like that.
starbuck
Registered Member
OS
A timer generally creates anxiety (think of the hot button and countdowns in general), so I am all for the "calm approach" wherever possible.
Having said that, there are situations like a phone call interrupting etc. where this might not turn out so favorable.... ;)
leszek1337
Registered Member
OS
The problem I see with the Yes/No Dialogs is that they very soon become very annoying for the users.

The timer approach has the big advantage not to be in the users way. For example if the user wants to delete 3-4 files he does not need to click yes 3 or 4 times to delete them one after another. Each file gets its own timer drawn above the file item itself.

Btw. a phone call would of course pause the timer.

Maybe we could make that configurable for the user. So he can choose what he wants. This of course needs a API Widget that does both with the same syntax basically.
I will try to implement something that can be tested.

Update: Implemented RemorsePopup in my current Noto build tree for plasma mobile: https://github.com/plasma-apps/noto
It is compatible to Sailfishs version of remorsepopup (so same api calls work here). You can switch between timer popup and dialog popup by setting the dialog variable. So setting it to true will popup a yes/no dialog)
leszek1337
Registered Member
OS
Here a small video demo for the remorsepopup: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-NDeV8Rdyvs&feature=youtu.be
andreas_k
Registered Member
nice but for me it is to busy. the delate widget show it better for me and maybe have it in the notifications history with an later backup would be cool
leszek1337
Registered Member
OS
nice but for me it is to busy. the delate widget show it better for me

Not sure what widget you mean that does it better.

and maybe have it in the notifications history with an later backup would be cool

Yeah this also a nice idea. But I don't know how that can be done though.
I mean showing it in the notifications would be no problem.
But how should it communicate then with the particular application ?
It needs to save its state or the delteted item or the database or whatever is used by the application to store things (like for example notes) so it can undo any change even after the application itself is closed or restarted.
So basically there are of course ways to implement that a lot more complicated. But I don't think this is necessary.

Keep it simple stupid. That would mean the application itself should control remove dialogs. In this case as I said besides the countdown you can also change it to a yes/no dialog.
So this would basically remove the countdown and adds a yes button and changes the cancel button to no.
This is the more traditional approach though.
sebas
KDE Developer
OS

Re: Instead of Yes/No Dialogs Timers

Tue Aug 18, 2015 10:23 am
I like the idea. I think instead of "do you really want to ...?", it should be an undo function (they replace the confirmations in a user-friendly way).

So the mechanism would basically be to delete the note and then display an undo option for a while, could almost be the same UI of course.

It would be nice to try this in a few central apps to see how well it works in practice.

-- sebas
leszek1337
Registered Member
OS

Tue Aug 18, 2015 2:31 pm
Yeah undo option would be also possible.
Should be no big deal to change my current implementation to it.
Basically only changing the text of the Cancel button to Undo and make it interact with the ui to hide show the entry. (Real removal from database then would happen when the undo dialog hides)