This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

Survey for mobile

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
Heiko Tietze
Registered Member
OS

Survey for mobile

Sat Aug 08, 2015 8:17 am
The forum post by archgalileu demonstrates that mobiles are not seen as just phones anymore. It's rather build around apps. That makes me wonder if it's a good time to run a survey about the relevance of apps. For me with Android it would be:
1. Navigation (Google Maps)
2. Mobility (Car Sharing, local traffic, railroad tickets)
3. Information (Google Chrome)
4. Communication (Mail, Hangout)
(first four are essential)
5. Phone
6. Dating/Socializing (Tinder, G+)
7. Entertainment (Mortplayer, LAN player control)
8. Games
9. SMS, Chat

Does it makes sense to ask the community? I mean if, for instance, the majority uses mobiles for map like service we could build the system around this core feature. If it is Kontact like stuff as suggested by archgalileu the core would be the communication channel.
airdrik
Registered Member
OS

Re: Survey for mobile

Mon Aug 10, 2015 6:38 pm
For me phone, SMS/chat, mail, and even social networking all fall under the umbrella: Communication. You have a collection of contacts, any given contact may have a number of contact media associated with them (e.g. phone number, jabber ID, twitter ID, e-mail, etc).

Here's how I would categorize some of the primary functions of a smartphone:
* Communication/Sharing (phone, chat, SMS, mail, social networking)
* Real-time environment information (location-aware services - traffic, what's around me, weather, monitoring, health/fitness, news)
* Entertainment (games, remote control, music/videos/books, upcoming events, movies, concerts)
* Passport/wallet (mobile banking, payments, tickets)
* Organization/Planning (calendar, notes, todos)

airdrik, proud to be a member of KDE forums since 2008-Dec.
Heiko Tietze
Registered Member
OS

Tue Aug 11, 2015 7:21 am
Thanks airdrik. That's a reasonable classification.
Anonymous Fox

Tue Aug 11, 2015 2:57 pm
I would add two categories:
  • Utilities (timer, calculator, alarmclock, barcode scanner, … )
  • Power User (ssh/ftp/whatever clients, terminal, advanced text editor, portscanner, … )
Heiko Tietze
Registered Member
OS

Re: Survey for mobile  Topic is solved

Wed Aug 12, 2015 7:34 am
Thanks for the replies. The question was if we should run a survey to support the preparation of vision and scope of KPhone. But I don't see much interest here. So it's up to the guys who define those artifacts what it actually include.
archgalileu
Registered Member
OS

Wed Aug 12, 2015 7:24 pm
Hello all

As [url=https://forum.kde.org/memberlist.php?mode=viewprofile&u=55451]Heiko Tietze[/url] said, for me should be great an survey.

Also include "relations" between categories on the survey.

Best regards
ArchGalileu
fredt
Registered Member
OS

Fri Sep 15, 2017 12:12 am
I'd love a Plasma phone, but some apps, Evernote, Spotify, RadioParadise, Tunein Radio, Twitter and Facebook Need some way to run these. I'd also like to keep my current service, Verizon. It sounds silly, but these sort of apps are really required for this to be a success.
valoriez
KDE CWG
OS

Fri Sep 15, 2017 12:27 am
https://twitter.com/kdecommunity/status ... 5989059584 might be relevant. Get in on the ground floor!

fredt
Registered Member
OS

Fri Sep 15, 2017 11:02 pm
I read up a little more and the use of Android apps is a stretch goal. Which more than likely means a couple/few years out. I'll be watching out for it.
joergw
Registered Member

Thu Sep 21, 2017 3:00 am
[list=][/list]My key motivation to evaluate Plasma Mobile is to have a Google free phone. Therefore all Google apps are excluded from my priority list.

Beyond an OS, that protects the user’s privacy, the exciting potential of Plasma Mobile is to use it for an device, that can switch from a mobile and desktop computer. This would have a lot of benefits. Therefore I like the application suite and device of Sentio.

For mobile use cases I need mainly just standards

• Phone
  • Messaging (SMS/MMS/XMPP)
  • Mail (IMAP)
  • Video Conferencing
  • Calendar (CalDav)
  • Todo (CalDav)
  • Contacts (CardDav)
  • Browser
  • Clock/Timer
  • Weather
  • Offline Map
  • Camera
  • Foto/Video/Music Library
  • Document Viewer for Attachments
  • Notes

For Productivity with a desktop mode I would need clean modern Office apps. Unfortunately Linux alternatives have an outdated usability (not better than MS Office).

The most apps are unnecessary, because they are based on web services. Thus a good browser with privacy settings, ad and script filter and readability view would cover the most usecases.
johnpaulding
Registered Member
OS

Thu Nov 09, 2017 10:13 pm
airdrik wrote:For me phone, SMS/chat, mail, and even social networking all fall under the umbrella: Communication. You have a collection of contacts, any given contact may have a number of contact media associated with them (e.g. phone number, jabber ID, twitter ID, e-mail, etc).

Here's how I would categorize some of the primary functions of a smartphone:
* Communication/Sharing (phone, chat, SMS, mail, social networking)
* Real-time environment information (location-aware services - traffic, what's around me, weather, monitoring, health/fitness, news)
* Entertainment (games, remote control, music/videos/books, upcoming events, movies, concerts)
* Passport/wallet (mobile banking, payments, tickets)
* Organization/Planning (calendar, notes, todos)

I'm hoping plasma-mobile will have the full KDE-PIM that will sync with the desktop version.
rejrashi
Registered Member

Wed Jan 16, 2019 12:20 pm
That was a wonderful clarification I must agree with and appreciate.
Whereas, in my case, I use smartphone mostly for talking calls and messaging and watching youtube videos.
On the other hand I also use various apps as provided below.
1. Adsense
2. Google Analytics
3. Wynk Music
4. MX Player
5. Hotstar
6. WhatsApp
7. Facebook
8. Messenger
9. Google Duo
10. Google Files Go
11. Google Pay
On the other hand, I also use most of the apps as said above on my pc as well using nox app player (https://noxforpc.com/) most of the times. You may also use the same in the same way.