This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

Development Tutorials

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
xnike
Registered Member

Development Tutorials

Wed Aug 12, 2015 7:03 pm
Hi, I could not find any available tutorials on how to assemble KDE Plasma Mobile application for arm and x86 (simulator) on Fedora without any VMs and so on.
Could anyone point to possible solution?
leszek1337
Registered Member
OS

Re: Development Tutorials

Wed Aug 12, 2015 9:59 pm
As there is basically not any HIG (Human Interface Guidelines) and an API specific to Plasma Mobile you can use the normal Plasma QML API from here: http://api.kde.org/frameworks-api/frame ... index.html
and a Plasma 5 running PC which is capable to compile software.

I made a app-template for now (only my personal usage and not something official though) that I use whenever I need to write a new application.
You can get it from here: https://github.com/plasma-apps/app-template
I write and test apps first on the desktop only. If everything is ok I then create a deb file for armhf (Kubuntu ARMHF Image provided for the Nexus5).
You can actually use the Kubuntu Plasma Mobile Image and extract it to a specific folder on your PC and use qemu-static-armhf to chroot into the system. As in a normal chroot you can use apt-get to install the necessary build tools and create a deb package for the software you developed.

I know this sounds a little bit complicated but Plasma Mobile is in very early development stage right now. So I hope in the future it will be easier to write and test out stuff when the Visual Design Group manages to write a HIG and maybe also Plasma Mobile specific API so we have some rules set to make it easier for developers to join in.
xnike
Registered Member

Thu Aug 13, 2015 9:45 pm
Thank you, I'll experiment with available API and tools.

My intent is to create an application template with build script that can produce builds for Sailfish OS, Ubuntu, Plasma Mobile and so on with as little platform specific API usage as possible. And then port my BB10 apps (from Cascades incompatible with another Qt based systems).
sebas
KDE Developer
OS

Tue Aug 18, 2015 10:30 am
@xnike: that sounds awesome. Do share it once you have it working. Of course you can always ask us questions. We're easy to find in the #plasma IRC channel on freenode, which usually gets you much quicker reaction times.

That said, I'm working on better documentation, so it'll hopefully improve shortly.

-- sebas