This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

How to use Plamsa Mobile alpha?

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
joergw
Registered Member

How to use Plamsa Mobile alpha?

Sat Jan 20, 2018 5:23 pm
Today I installed the mid January 2018 release of Plasma Mobile on my Nexus 5X developer device. By the way, macOS users have to replace "readlink" with "greatlink" in each shell scripts in the cloned git repository.

I realised, that Plasma Mobile is in an early alpha state. It's seems to be a proof of concept, that shows, that widgets of Plasma can adopt to the small screan and touch interaction of a mobile device. Plasma Mobile has indeed a nice home screen with a high level bottom navigation bar, a slidable app bar and a top search bar.

I realised limits and missing functions. Could some others of the community confirm my experience or give me some advice for testing?
  • The phone app is not working
  • I couldn't find a way to swith off the phone regularly
  • Only home screen, the settings and a phone apps mockup are adopted to the mobile devices, yet.
  • The bottom grid and home symbol have no function or does not respond, yet
  • I couldn't manage to setup WLAN. The list of nbetwors disappeared somehow
  • Buttons poorly respond to touch interaction.
  • The Camara is not supported
Does someone know, whether I would preferably test Plasma Mobile on a Nexus 5? Was the image video a non existing animation? Plasma Mobile looks much more mature at this video.
RaviC
Registered Member

Re: How to use Plamsa Mobile alpha?

Sun Jan 21, 2018 1:17 pm
You'll get a lot more support if you join the Matrix/Telegram group.

Originally there was a lot more support (e.g. calls) due to the use of the Ubuntu Touch base image. But eventually, it wasn't possible to use that base as it was outdated so some functionality is missing temporarily.
bshah
Registered Member
OS

Mon Jan 22, 2018 8:44 am
Hello,

• The phone app is not working

That's correct, for now telephony functions are not working on Nexus 5X image. I hope to get them working really soon.
  • I couldn't find a way to swith off the phone regularly

If you want to completely power off device, a trick I use is reboot to bootloader and power off from there.. and yes I agree that we should get power off fixed
  • Only home screen, the settings and a phone apps mockup are adopted to the mobile devices, yet.

That's correct, we are still missing lots of applications for phone usecase.
  • The bottom grid and home symbol have no function or does not respond, yet

The way home symbol works is, when you are on some Application, it brings you back to home screen, otherwise it's disabled, same goes for "grid" or applications icon.
  • I couldn't manage to setup WLAN. The list of nbetwors disappeared somehow

That sounds like a bug.. it works for me, can you provide dmesg from ssh? So I can diagnosis issue..
  • Buttons poorly respond to touch interaction.

Any specific buttons?
  • The Camara is not supported

Yes that's also correct, similar to telephony, it will work in upcoming images.

Was the image video a non existing animation? Plasma Mobile looks much more mature at this video.

No, as mentioned in previous comment, initial prototype was based on Ubuntu touch, but we switched underlying stack and it resulted in missing functionality.
joergw
Registered Member

Mon Jan 29, 2018 7:32 am
Hello together,

The way home symbol works is, when you are on some Application, it brings you back to home screen, otherwise it's disabled, same goes for "grid" or applications icon.

I realised, that I could close or at least hide an app by using the right cross. I expected to call the home screen with the middle button and the app grid with the left button, but these buttons didn’t trigger any action on my test device.

That sounds like a bug.. it works for me, can you provide dmesg from ssh? So I can diagnosis issue..

Sure. Can you give me more advice after I have established an ssh connection? Does the command dmesg needs more parameter?

Any specific buttons?

For example the back button in the upper settings menu.

No, as mentioned in previous comment, initial prototype was based on Ubuntu touch, but we switched underlying stack and it resulted in missing functionality.

Could the development of Plasma Mobile accelerated by using UBPorts?