This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

Definitions for Mouse Cursors

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
caccini1602
Registered Member

Definitions for Mouse Cursors

Wed Aug 31, 2016 4:43 pm
Hello,

I'm not sure if this is the best place to post this question, so if not, feel free to let me know where I should move it to.

I'm looking for the location of the file that would define which mouse cursor is shown for different situations (ie. when the mouse is on the background window, a resize handle in the corner of a window, over a button, etc.). I know how to install a mouse cursor theme using the System Settings, or to download a theme to put in /usr/share/icons and set the default.kde4 link to point to the one I want to use. I also am used to changing some definitions in the ~/.kde/share/config/kdeglobals file, but I have not been able to find a place to set what I'm looking for.

What I'm really wanting to do (just for fun, of course) is to try to use KDE on my personal laptop to recreate the look of some of the old-school UNIX window managers like MWM, TWM, and FVWM (I loved FVWM back in the 90's), but with all of the more modern functionality of KDE. In the older window managers, when the mouse was just over the screen background (root window), the mouse cursor would just be an X (usually with a filename like x-cursor). I can see that some of the sets of cursors I have installed have that file, and opening up in GIMP I can see they are the x cursor I'm looking for. I just can't find the file that defines which cursor is to be used for different situations.

In the old days of FVWM, in the .fvwmrc file you could include a list of definitions named something like cursorstyle, where you define which one is used based on where the mouse cursor is. Is there something similar in KDE where I could include an instruction for it to show that X cursor when the mouse is over the background window? Just pointing me to a filename and location and maybe a setting name should be enough.

Thanks!