This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

System-Wide configuration settings

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
caccini1602
Registered Member

System-Wide configuration settings

Wed Feb 22, 2017 4:29 pm
Hello. I'm wondering about where system wide configuration settings are stored so I can make some changes to my laptop. Basically, I like to use FVWM as a window manager, but also have KDE so I can use a lot of the KDE tools including things like dolphin and ksysguard. Normally, if I use the system settings tool to select a color scheme, I can use those tools while in FVWM and see the scheme I selected. I've been able to do this using recent versions of Debian, Slackware, and FreeBSD.

I've been finding that with recent versions of Fedora, it doesn't seem to work. If I run KDE, then I see the color scheme I selected, but if I log in using FVWM, the settings I've chosen are lost, and many of the windows open up without all of the controls they normally have. As one example, the system settings window is missing almost everything if I open it while running in FVWM.

Is this because the Fedora KDE spin has some global system-wide KDE settings that are not getting loaded if I start FVWM instead of the KDE desktop? I would be grateful for any help with where I should look for how to resolve this. Thanks!
caccini1602
Registered Member
I think I found most of my answer. I've found that if in my .bashrc file I set and export

KDE_FULL_SESSION=true

then when I start my FVWM session, I can run KDE apps and they seem to have most of their environment. The color schemes look the way I've set them, and most of the controls are there.

Something that still seems to be missing is that if I run the system settings app within FVWM, it still doesn't have the Quit button. Any ideas about where I need to look to find why that's missing?

As a sort of related question, does anyone have any ideas about how I can get the KDE desktop system tray items to work in stalonetray in my FVWM session? I'd like to have the network manager and batter monitor there at least.

Thanks!