This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

Starting with the contribution

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
karunag
Registered Member

Starting with the contribution

Mon Feb 27, 2017 4:39 am
i m a beginner in open source contribution,so can anyone please guide me through the procedure.
i have read the procedure given on the website and followed them but now i am stuck with the cmake part in building the project.
Therefore,
Please can u tell me about the entire step by step procedure from how to find whether a bug is active or not to downloading its corresponding repository.
Mamarok
Manager
OS

Re: Starting with the contribution

Mon Feb 27, 2017 1:53 pm
You need to be a tad more specific what exact program you are contributing to, there are several dozen applications made by the KDE community.

Also each program has their dedicated mailing list and forum section, as well as IRC channel, so you really need to be more specific and subscribe to the correct lists. Once subscribed to the dedicated mailing list, introduce yourself to the team (ideally with a bit more background about your skills), they will point you in the right direction.

Running Kubuntu 22.10 with Plasma 5.26.3, Frameworks 5.100.0, Qt 5.15.6, kernel 5.19.0-23 on Ryzen 5 4600H, AMD Renoir, X11
FWIW: it's always useful to state the exact Plasma version (+ distribution) when asking questions, makes it easier to help ...
karunag
Registered Member

Mon Feb 27, 2017 3:25 pm
I was attempting to work on kdialog under bugs for beginner
So which irc channel to join
Mamarok
Manager
OS

Mon Feb 27, 2017 10:00 pm
I presume that would be kde-devel, then. Please make sure to search and read all the documentation for contributors on our wikis. There are plenty of guides for beginning contributors, and since our projects are all volunteer driven, you need to rely on doing your homework first, as there will not always be somebody around immediately when you have a question.

Our policy is that a good developer is able to find its way around the internet without having to ask for elementary information. So if you have questions make sure you have done your homework and know what you are talking about.

Running Kubuntu 22.10 with Plasma 5.26.3, Frameworks 5.100.0, Qt 5.15.6, kernel 5.19.0-23 on Ryzen 5 4600H, AMD Renoir, X11
FWIW: it's always useful to state the exact Plasma version (+ distribution) when asking questions, makes it easier to help ...
zetazeta
Registered Member

Fri Jul 28, 2017 12:27 am
Did you start yet? Where will you source it?
tiffansy
Registered Member

Fri Nov 17, 2017 11:46 am
I was attempting to work on kdialog under bugs for beginner
So which irc channel to join
scummos
Global Moderator
OS

Fri Nov 17, 2017 12:30 pm
You can go to #kde-devel on irc.freenode.net, but don't expect hours of hand-holding. If you have specific questions, you can ask them there, but be patient ;)

I'm working on the KDevelop IDE.