This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

Possible to upgrade to Dev Edition from User Edition?

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
bundito
KDE Developer
OS
Hi KDE'ers!

Is it possible to upgrade my User Edition installation to a Developer Edition without wiping out all my data & settings? I'm interested in developing for KDE5/Plasma (maybe starting with a simple plasmoid), but installing all the frameworks and dependencies looks like a gigantic task. I've just spent a week getting this fresh User Edition installed and don't really want to start over. But I will if I have to. I was hoping there's some way to add on the extra pieces needed to turn this into a Dev edition.

Thanks in advance.

-bundito
claydoh
Registered Member
OS
You don't need to use one of the Developer editions to do what you want to do. Those are just made from pre-release Plasma, etc code. You can install any of the tools and dependencies you need using your existing OS.

claydoh, proud to be a member of KDE forums since 2008-Oct, and KDE user since 2001
bundito
KDE Developer
OS
I suppose that’s true. I was just wondering if there was an easier way to get all the raw code at once and have it at my fingertips rather than seeking it out and compiling it piece by piece. But then I would have wasted the five hours I already spent compiling Qt 5.10. :P

IRC: _sharvey_
claydoh
Registered Member
OS
I would not have thought you'd need qt 5.10 to create a simple plasmoid ;)

Do we even have 5.10 in any Neon version yet?

You could always edit your software sources to replace "user" with "dev-stable" or unstable. There may be packaging conflicts, as well as a less stable desktop.

claydoh, proud to be a member of KDE forums since 2008-Oct, and KDE user since 2001
bundito
KDE Developer
OS
I'm on the PyQt mailing list, which is the only way I knew Qt 5.10 was released. So I figured I'd install and build it. I'm not the most organized or focused sometimes. What can I say?

I've got a long-running tinkering-level PyQt application that I really need to concentrate on before I turn my attention anywhere else. But like I said - shiny new objects. I set up a new workstation for KDE neon and am enjoying being current for a change. My previous workstation started out as Mint 18.1, changed to Ubuntu Gnome, but it was too old (a Dell Optiplex from 10+ years ago) and couldn't keep up. Plus there was some bug in the video drivers that would hang X at random. I'd have to SSH in to reboot it (I use it by remote from my MacBook). Now I've got a shiny new KDE neon machine that I can access with X2go and get a nice high resolution remote desktop without performance being too bad. I still get to enjoy the Plasma 5.11 desktop and all its toys.

I should go do some chores, then put a little work in on my PyQt project. Unfocused. But I stopped to add an avatar, so it wasn't a waste of time.

-bundito

IRC: _sharvey_