This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

QT_PLUGIN_PATH blank, causing missing menu in kteatime

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
huoni
Registered Member
FINAL UPDATE: Don't know how to delete posts...
Tracked this problem down to what I assume is a bug in plasma-integration 5.11.5, which has apparently been fixed in a later version. Doesn't really explain why this breaks kteatime, since it shouldn't be a dependency, but oh well. Mystery partly solved.

This is hard to write a title for. I'm looking to contribute to KDE, and am setting up my dev environment. I don't actually have any issues with the dev environment (using kdrsrc-build). The issue is with my 'poduction' environment (Arch)

When I looked for bugs I could fix, I found that kteatime's "Help" item in the system tray context menu didn't work. But when I build kteatime with kdesrc-build, the menu works correctly (has sub-menu with multiple sub-items).
I found that the issue was regarding the QT_PLUGIN_PATH environment variable. On my Arch system (up to date as of this post), QT_PLUGIN_PATH is blank. However, [this page](https://community.kde.org/Guidelines_an ... rom_source) describes setting up the runtime environment, and part of that is setting QT_PLUGIN_PATH to:
$KF5/lib/plugins:$KF5/lib64/plugins:$KF5/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/plugins:$QTDIR/plugins:$QT_PLUGIN_PATH

KF5 is ~/kde/usr so I assume the usual spot for these plugins would be in /usr.
/usr/lib/plugins doesn't exist
/usr/lib64/plugins doesn't exist
/usr/lib/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu doesn't exist
QTDIR is also blank

So I could manually set QT_PLUGIN_PATH to something, but 1) I don't know where these plugins are, and 2) I shouldn't need to manually set it, right?

EDIT: I found /usr/lib/qt5/plugins and /usr/lib/qt/plugins, but setting QT_PLUGIN_PATH to either of those didn't fix the issues with kteatime. Does this mean there's a plugin missing from kteatime's dependencies?

The problem is I don't know where to go from here. Technically this isn't stopping me from contributing, however it troubles me that the dev environment is different than my 'prod' environment.
Any help would be appreciated!

(It has just occurred to me that this is technically not related to contributing, but it's related to KDE and something that other contributors may have come across, so hopefully this is alright).

UPDATE: I built kteatime from scratch by creating a fresh `~/kde` directory and running `kdesrc-build kteatime --include-dependencies`. Running this freshly built version with all the env variables set resulted in the same missing Help menu. Previously I was running it having built all kde frameworks (actually 4 failed). So does this mean kteatime is configured incorrectly, and should have a dependency listed that is required?

UPDATE2: Through trial and error, I've found the culprit: `KDEPlasmaPlatformTheme.so`, which is part of the `plasma-integration` package. After building and installing this with kdesrc-build, the Help menu was correctly shown.
However, my Arch system has plasma-integration installed (from official repos), yet even if I run `export QT_PLUGIN_PATH=/usr/lib/qt/plugins/`, the Help menu is missing. I did a diff on `/usr/lib/qt/plugins/platformthemes/KDEPlasmaPlatformTheme.so` and `~/kde/usr/lib64/plugins/platformthemes/KDEPlasmaPlatformTheme.so` and the two are different.
So I see two issues: 1) kteatime is missing a dependency - `plasma-integration`, and 2) there's a bug in that package which has been fixed in master but not in repos yet?

No idea if anyone is even seeing this, but it's helpful writing it out anyway.