This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

GPS (Garmin-esque) contribution to KDE

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
ldsoftnone
Registered Member
Hi all - sorry if this is the wrong forum for this, but "Contributor's Corner" sounded promising...

I've had a few GPL-V3 Linux projects brewing, which I have polished a bit and packaged up in case they might be useful for others. I wanted these for my own use, but it felt like the Linux software ecosystem was weak in these areas, so I hoped they would be a useful contribution to the Linux community. Both these are KDE-native.

• GPS track manager, akin to the Windows-only software that comes with some Garmin handheld GPS units (but, I feel, more capable). This is targeted at outdoor sports and recreation such as hiking, cycling, sailing, skiing, etc. I wrote it because Garmin's own software was the last thing tying me to a Win7 VM, and it also didn't provide a number of capabilities I wanted in such a tool. With this, I am now 100% Windows free. Yay! :)

Wiki with screenshots and packages
    Gitlab source repo

• LXC container manager and monitor, with graphical per-container load/memory/etc indicators, and a parallel pseudo-console for issuing commands to many, possibly heterogeneous containers at once. This is designed to someday handle other virtualization types such as VirtualBox, but does not yet do so.

Wiki with screenshots and packages
    Gitlab source repo
Both share a common set of headers and utilities in a gitlab repo found here.

Both of these are Qt based for KDE or LXQt desktops, but (I hope) should work in other desktops to the extent any Qt apps do. They'll use the KDE settings (UI colors, etc) in that case.

I've never packaged Linux software for others to use before, and I'm certain to have done something horribly wrong :). Any feedback is certainly appreciated. Presently, there are only binary packages and source tarballs, but no source packages, because I was defeated by the 493435 pages of documentation about those. Anyway, both packages provide a .desktop file, manpages, etc.

Both projects are marked as alpha state since they haven't had any exposure outside my local environment. The GPS tracker is the more polished of the two: I've put a lot of effort into in-app tutorials, examples, loads of tooltips, etc, to help usability.

I've been using Linux+KDE a long time, and it seems like one of the last software ecosystems standing that hasn't gone to the dark side of modern computing, so wanted to try to give something back.
ldsoftnone
Registered Member
I don't know if this ended up being of use to anybody, but in case it did: there's a new version (0.90) uploaded to the same links above which provides support for the FIT binary format, which is used by many newer Garmin devices (GPS watches, etc).
Mamarok
Manager
OS
You might want to check out this page: https://community.kde.org/Incubator There is more valuable information on the Community wiki you will probably find interesting, too :-)

Running Kubuntu 22.10 with Plasma 5.26.3, Frameworks 5.100.0, Qt 5.15.6, kernel 5.19.0-23 on Ryzen 5 4600H, AMD Renoir, X11
FWIW: it's always useful to state the exact Plasma version (+ distribution) when asking questions, makes it easier to help ...