This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

Is it acceptable to add new dependencies to Plasma?

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
oshiorns
Registered Member
Hi, first-time contributor here...

I'm working on some performance improvements to Klipper (as part of Plasma-Workspace). One of the things I'd like to improve is, a QCryptographicHash is used to generate a unique identifier for each clipboard entry. This is a smart idea, but when there are a fair number of images (due to their large size) in the clipboard, the hashes take rather a lot of time to compute, making startup slow.

SInce this is just for an identifier, it really doesn't need to be a cryptographic hash, so I was hoping to fix the issue by replacing the QCryptographicHash with a faster algorithm - I had xxHash (https://github.com/Cyan4973/xxHash) in mind because of its impressive speed, and happily, it is also open source under the BSD license and already packaged for a very large number of distros.

So, my question is: Can I do this? It all works well on my local machine, but is it acceptable to commit this if it requires a new dependency? If yes, what's the proper method for updating CI stuff to install the new dependency? (The CI seems to pull its setup script from a repo I would not be allowed to modify...)

Many thanks,
Oliver
oshiorns
Registered Member
I've asked on Matrix, and I have been informed that so long as I can show that the alternatives are not as good and that adding a new library really is the best option, it should be ok. :)