This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

Sourcing other .sh files from .config/plasma-workspace/env

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
StMartin81
Registered Member
I put a script in ~/.config/plasma-workspace/env which should source another .sh script which is installed on the system. The other script files sets some environment variables and it needs to be called with a parameter. The parameter doesn't get propagated to the script though. Is it possible to source the other script file so that it gets called with the parameter intel64?

The script looks like this:
Code: Select all
#!/bin/bash

. /opt/intel/bin/compilervars.sh intel64 #<- script is  called without the parameter
raphaelra
Registered Member
OS
StMartin81
Registered Member
If I just run the script instead of sourcing it the environment variables won't get exported, which is what I actually want. :)
raphaelra
Registered Member
OS
You are right, i was wrong o)

I checked /usr/bin/startkde ... The *.sh files from ~/.config/plasma-workspace/env are sourced and not executed as mentioned in link above:
#!/bin/sh
[...]
# Source scripts found in <config locations>/plasma-workspace/env/*.sh
[...]
# Add /env/ to the directory to locate the scripts to be sourced
for prefix in `echo $scriptpath`; do
  for file in "$prefix"/env/*.sh; do
    test -r "$file" && . "$file" || true
  done
done

startkde is running with /bin/sh which is dash on Kubuntu an dash ignores arguments when sourcing another scripts :-\ You can write your own script that sets same env variables as /opt/intel/bin/compilervars.sh intel64 or modify startkde to use bash. The last may be bad way because updates can overwrite startkde.
StMartin81
Registered Member
I wasn't aware that Ubuntu was using Dash as default shell. It's really hard to find some informations about Dash. I guess not many people are using it.

Thanks a lot for pointing out why the parameter wasn't used!

Fortunately the programmers of the shell script made it also possible to pass the parameters also by setting environment variables. So my script looks like this now:
#!/bin/sh
export COMPILERVARS_ARCHITECTURE=intel64
. /opt/intel/bin/compilervars.sh
raphaelra
Registered Member
OS
StMartin81 wrote:I wasn't aware that Ubuntu was using Dash as default shell.

raphael@tofilius:~$ ll /bin/sh
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 4 May 26  2017 /bin/sh -> dash*
I wasn't aware to ... (til now ;) ). It seams that the Debian family is using dash and RHEL family (Centos, Fedora) - bash.