This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

Read KDE configuration from non-Qt apps

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
rastersoft
Registered Member
Hello:

This is my first post, and I know that it is somewhat odd: I need to read the KDE configuration (specifically the current wallpaper) from a non-Qt application.

The reason is that I created a Gtk application (Cronopete), but it is used by some KDE users, and that application needs to know the path to the current wallpaper. This works fine under Gtk desktops like Gnome Shell, but, of course, doesn't work under KDE. So if there is a way of detecting that, it would be great.

Thanks.
raphaelra
Registered Member
OS
rastersoft wrote:I need to read the KDE configuration (specifically the current wallpaper) /.../ to know the path to the current wallpaper.

Plasma backgrounds are managed by plugins. One of that plugins displays a static image/file, but other might show dynamic content (images or animations from local or remote sources or videos). Furthermore you can configure differend backgrounds for different activitiies or screens. So keep in mind, there is no such thing as "the path to the current wallpaper"

I use a static image for my desktop background and the image file is referenced from config file ~.config/plasma-org.kde.plasma.desktop-appletsrc. It is an .ini file with key-value pairs organized in sections. It should be easy to read such a file with GLib/GTK.