This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

Katalog - new application for cataloging and searching files

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
Symbioxy
Registered Member
OS
Hi!

For a long time I have been willing to learn coding in Qt/KDE and I finally found a need for an app that I'd use almost daily.
Here's my first release: https://sourceforge.net/projects/katalogg/
This could grow within a very interesting environment of KDE apps such as Filezilla, Kfind, Balloo, Dolphin, Krename, etc.

Today I'm just looking for some advice/mentoring.
- Plasma integration: is there any doc to guide me on how make it a nicely integrated app? I guess I can just look at other source of existing ones.
- i18n: i did not get yet how this is working. Should I start with the Qt class tr or can I use the KDE class i18n right away, and how to get started translating the app?

Thanks!
arkascha
Registered Member
OS
Interesting. Always great to see people taking initiative and starting new things. I wish you all the best.

I though along similar lines years ago myself. But came out with a different, more radical approach. In my eyes it is wrong to store files in a hierarchical file system. Because reality is not that simple. A hierarchical file system only works for 90% of the cases, which is why we have all those attempts to provide search engines, indexing, tagging, cataloging...

I always preferred to solve the actual cause instead of trying to cure a symptom.
I came up with the idea of extending the file access dialog to offer (as a first step) a second, alternate option to the existing hierarchical file system. Because at the end of the day I simply do not care where my file is stored. I care that I can find it from different perspectives and situations. Which is where file systems absolutely suck. Instead the system should store the file wherever it wants (balanced trees?) and provide an entry in a catalog as the only means to access the file. That liberates the process, since we can use various and arbitrary means, strategies and tools to query that database, so to search, access and evaluate that file. I personally like hierarchical tags as a means to organize stuff. And using a database backend allows to simultaneously add _multiple_ independent tags to a document. And get it indexed. And integrated.

It is a long shot, sure. Because it radically changes how we would think about storage and how we would use a system in the end. But the more you think about it the more clear it becomes that the limitations of classical file systems are obvious. It's just that no one dares to question that strategy...

Last edited by arkascha on Wed Aug 12, 2020 11:12 am, edited 2 times in total.
Mamarok
Manager
OS
Just a heads up: I moved your post to a better place and asked devs to look at. A goode idea is also to subscribe to the kde-devel and Plasma mailing lists: https://kde.org/support/mailinglists/

Running Kubuntu 22.10 with Plasma 5.26.3, Frameworks 5.100.0, Qt 5.15.6, kernel 5.19.0-23 on Ryzen 5 4600H, AMD Renoir, X11
FWIW: it's always useful to state the exact Plasma version (+ distribution) when asking questions, makes it easier to help ...