This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

I'm forking a KDE project. Can I still use the KDE name?

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
jdaniels
Registered Member
I got sick of not having a decent system log viewer and did a survey of the available free candidates. Ksystemlog came out on top.

However, the Ksystemlog is designed such that you need to modify the code extensively to add new log types. This is primarily what I'm doing.

I'm also stripping out any reference to systemd (I'm running on Debian/MX Linux) and creating a local help page with graphics (PDF file) instead of the current online help.

The lastest verion for MX is 18.08. I have forked v. 18.12 and would be happy to release my new version as 18.13 on Debian repos. Alternatively, I can just give the package another name and/or strip out all reference to KDE. I'm looking for advice on this issue, not on software design. I could possibly also release a local package with a suffix such that it wouldn't interfere with the main Ksystemlog versions.

The diffs between 18.08 and 20.x are relatively minor. I forget exactly why I decided to fork the earlier version rather than the latest, but it is now almost done, so I'm sticking with it.

I feel that this utility has been overlooked. The difficulty of adding new log types has caused it to be relatively unused. It's really quite capable, if you know how to configure it. The reason I had ignored it in the past is that the Debian maintainer (whoever that is) ships it with missing icons and only 4 log types. What are we supposed to do about the other logs? Also, the features that are user-configurable are not well-advertised.

Assuming I solve the, still present, icon issues, my version will come ready to run on a desktop system. Like I said, I'm really just looking for some advice on whether I have to change the name.
Mamarok
Manager
OS
Please take this to the kde-devel@kde.org mailing list, this goes beyond the forum topics.

Running Kubuntu 22.10 with Plasma 5.26.3, Frameworks 5.100.0, Qt 5.15.6, kernel 5.19.0-23 on Ryzen 5 4600H, AMD Renoir, X11
FWIW: it's always useful to state the exact Plasma version (+ distribution) when asking questions, makes it easier to help ...