This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

New to KDE: is / can be gstreamer considered native?

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
yujah
Registered Member
Hi all.

User very new to the KDE-sphere here. I'm developing an application while for now using glib/gio and plan on also using gstreamer. I've with an eye on possible future porting to more KDE-centric infrastructure however explicitly kept things up to now pretty generic, i.e., not really wed to glib/gio; when I google around it seems that gstreamer is "these days" also to be considered a normal or even preferred back-end for the KDE multimedia stuff?

Is that true? Would/could/should I be expecting that a gstreamer-using application would count as normal/expected within a KDE-centric program? I'm asking fairly specifically since... looking into things I'm noticing that while I'd still like to use it, gstreamer might in fact not have huge benefits to me; that I could alternatively just DIY things as well. With an eye on portability therefore that it might be a good idea to just do so -- although, again, i don't really want to; specifically like the gst-launch stuf that would allow easy implementation of a command-line interface to my infrastructure (which would itself be GUI, at least for now in Python, and initially GTK3). Relatedly; if gstreamer is not to be considered "native" in KDE is something else comparably?

Pardon if Google should have helped me with this question; found lots, but some of it contradictory, and as always with at least little indication as to how current something was. Thanks in advance for any possibly available information.

Regards,
Yujah
yujah
Registered Member
So. I take it then this is not a very active forum and/or not the best place to ask the above question.

Would someone be able to direct me to somewhere more appropriate?
Mamarok
Manager
OS
Usually Matrix is the better place to ask for framework related stuff, KDE has it's own instance: https://community.kde.org/Matrix
FWIW nowadays Pulseaudio is the default audio server on most Linux systems

Running Kubuntu 22.10 with Plasma 5.26.3, Frameworks 5.100.0, Qt 5.15.6, kernel 5.19.0-23 on Ryzen 5 4600H, AMD Renoir, X11
FWIW: it's always useful to state the exact Plasma version (+ distribution) when asking questions, makes it easier to help ...
yujah
Registered Member
Thanks for the reply. gstreamer and PulseAudio are not things that live at the same level or serve a similar purpose though; former is a framework for e.g. opening/interpreting/parsing/playing audio and video files: infrastructure "a player proper" would use (although it can be used more generally). Latter could/would be an audio backend for a gstreamer-based player but in no other manner than it could/would for any other type of player.

The web seems to indicate that gstreamer may be or may at some point have been considered a preferred or at least expected backend for KDE's Proton -- but being new to the KDE sphere I'm having trouble deciding what information from where should and should not be considered authoritative or even how KDE layers things there.

Matrix may not be my thing it seems; am not the chatty type. Thanks though for the link; will try and see.
Mamarok
Manager
OS
You mean Phonon, the audio backend used is mostly gstreamer, yes, but this depends on the distributions.

Running Kubuntu 22.10 with Plasma 5.26.3, Frameworks 5.100.0, Qt 5.15.6, kernel 5.19.0-23 on Ryzen 5 4600H, AMD Renoir, X11
FWIW: it's always useful to state the exact Plasma version (+ distribution) when asking questions, makes it easier to help ...