This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

Why KDE software ported to Kubuntu so hardly?

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
Menak Vishap
Registered Member
Good afternoon!

I have a question, which interests me already for a long time. Why porting of the new versions of KDE software to Kubuntu always goes so hardly and slowly as compared with some other distributions? Whereas packman-based distributions, e.g. KaOS, usually get the new Plasma and Applications version at the same day the latter are released, for Kubintu it takes sometimes 2-3 months. It was noticeable in KDE 4, but became even more obvious for Plasma 5. In Kubuntu-CI now just Plasma 5.5.5 is attempted to be assembled, and there are a lot of failed compilations, in Neon project there are still no applications. Is there any specific feature of Kubintu, which makes it so difficult?
Please, don't consider my question as a criticism, it is just my big interest to this phenomenon. I will be very grateful for answer.
mrbarletta
Registered Member
OS
Menak - If you been around since KDE 4 wait a little bit longer and use Neon user edition.

The problem you are referring to is well known and has sparked the neon project.

I don' think there is a underlying problem in Kubuntu itself, its not an easy task to build and ship a distro, they put a lot of effort into it without any pay.

I see a bright future ahead with neon :)
goddard
Registered Member
OS
Strange this is still such a difficult problem. Why can't this be automated?