This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

Can't install with legacy option as opposed to UEFI

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
goddard
Registered Member
OS
I was unable to install with legacy. My bios are set to run on either legacy or UEFI. I previously had Kubuntu installed as UEFI though.
apachelogger
KDE Developer
OS
You'll have to be a little more precise than "can't install" I am afraid. What exactly is going wrong?

Annoyed with bbcode since 1999.
ccaillet
Registered Member
Hi all,

If you want to install on legacy mode on top of a previous UEFI install you need to rework your partition table in fact u have a GPT partition table due to UEFI in legacy you MUST have a DOS partition table.

That's probably the problem you encounter.

Regards.
willt
Registered Member
I have a UEFI installation. As I understand it neon will only boot in legacy mode (I use usb) . So I change to legacy mode and boot neon from usb. To install I open a terminal and start the installation with ubiquity -b which means don't install a boot loader. After installation I switch back to UEFI mode. Then since I have other linux distros installed in UEFI mode, I open one and update grub.cfg which picks up the new Neon install and I can boot it. From there if you wish you can install the grub-efi-64, update grub etc. and you can boot neon itself natively under UEFI mode, but you first need to edit the /etc/fstab file to mount the directory /boot/efi on your boot partition, mine is /dev/sda.. You will also have to use, as root, efibootmgr if you want Neon to be first in the boot order. I have not reworked any partitions since they are already gpt partitions. I have only reformatted an existing install partiton which was previously created using gparted.
Hope this helps.
goddard
Registered Member
OS
I guess I will have to give this method a try later..