This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

Feedback on Neon-Experience & Thanks

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
Cymaphore
Registered Member
Hi,

just want to post some feedback on my neon experience.

For nearly twenty years now I'm primarily using deb-based distributions. For most of the time I use (strongly customized) KDE as a desktop. I don't like it's default look and feel, but I like what I can turn it into and how a lot of innovation as well as foresight takes place in KDE developement.

I switched repository from Debian to Ubuntu almost twelve years ago on my desktop mainly because it provided relatively up to date KDE Desktop without the risk of completely wracking my system regularly because of unstable additional repositories or caveats with building the not-outdated stuff by myself.

KDE in Ubuntu always was a good experience, even if it had and has problems and lacked up-to-dateness in LTS. Your decision to provide a rolling release repository of KDE (Neon User) for a LTS repository is exactly what I've been waiting for for all those years. It means that I can probably stick with the lts repository now.

My current main desktop machine I installed with trusty right after purchase, dist-upgraded to utopic, vivid, wily and xenial, added your (neon user) repository approx. three weeks ago and your packages installed without any problems. Had some minor problems with inconsistent library dependencies (for example kcalc wouldn't launch and got stuck, didn't analyze why), but all of that was fixed with todays upgrade to framework 5.23. So no significant problems there.

Thanks for your effort. I hope this project will grow and flurish.

Sadly my current schedule is filled with family and business, otherwise I would thank you people by trying to contribute to the project instead of these warm words... But since many people usually only complain and demand in foss-boards these days (BTW: WHY U NO IMPLEMENT THE FUNCTION I WANT????!!!?! U OWE ME PERSONALLY THJAT FETURE!!!! ;-) ), I thought it might be a nice guesture to just say thank you.

Best regards,
Martin