This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

Wayland session on user edition, possible?

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
joder
Registered Member
OS
I've been using neon user edition for about a week now, tinker with it, shape it to my liking and messing things up on the process. The issues i've found i've managed to workaround/fix or have fixed themselves out of the blue, except that i can't log into a wayland session.

I ran "sudo apt install plasma-workspace-wayland", but when i try to log in after selecting "plasma (wayland)" the screen goes black as if trying to log but in a couple of seconds it goes back to the login screen.

No idea what's wrong. Is it possible in user edition or do i need the dev edition? Is my nvida card the problem? I am using the proprietary driver 361 available on the repos.
I dunno.

Besides this so far so good.
subdiff
Registered Member
OS
The problem is without a doubt your proprietary Nvidia driver. AFAIK there is no support yet and won't be in the foreseeable future, because of Nvidia's strategy regarding GBM/EGL streams. If you really want to try it out, wait for Plasma 5.7 beginning of next month (lots of Wayland fixes) and use Nouveau driver.
joder
Registered Member
OS
OK, dam nvidia. I'll try and install a more recent drivers, if still does not work, Double Dam NVIDIA >:D
nkukard
Registered Member
I have the same problem under VirtualBox on a clean install