This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

My KDE Neon experience after 15 years of KDE

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
mcallegari
Registered Member
[Update] did a cleanup of all the hidden folders in my user home folder and:
- kate freezing seems to be resolved
- folder view widgets highlight not resolved (there's also another thread about it)
- white on gray tooltips not resolved

As for Dolphin, well, last night I had to copy another load of data and the caching hell happened again. At some point I decided to copy from a shell just with 'cp'.
Funny thing is that:
- Dolphin eats a lot of CPU too during a copy. My laptop fan starts to spin, and top revealed plasmashell and an nVidia process doing their worst. With cp I haven't heard any fan spinning.
- I copied 11GB with cp and it was super fast. Dolphin instead is VERY slow. I monitored the transfer rate on my NTFS drive and it was like roller coasters. From 30MB/S to long periods stalling. It seems it caches data like hell until filling some large buffer, and then the NTFS driver kicks in and slows everything down for minutes.
On the other hand, cp doesn't seem to suffer that much from such behaviour.
compatico
Registered Member
OS
edgarejm wrote:This post is depressing me :( I just wiped out windows in favor of Kubuntu. I hope I won't regret it.

Welcome to the KDE world!

Unless you can't find an alternative program that you must have from the Windows world, I think you'll like Kubuntu and won't regret it. Installing most Linux systems these days is fairly easy and much faster than installing Windows. About the only part that might be scary for some is setting up partitions for your system. The defaults will do a good job, but you can customize your partitions and installation far better than Windows could ever hope to do, and it's not hard once you understand the concept of separate partitions.

I can format and install fresh and have it done, programs installed, and everything configured within an hour on my system with all data intact. Windows takes nearly that long just to install Windows, then another few hours for updates, programs and configuration. Then backups or data restore...ugh.
raddison
Registered Member
Hi again guys,

I think there's no reason to get depressed. Use this https://bugs.kde.org/ tool. Great power has been given to us, hence great responsibility. We should always make sure our bug reports are accurate, clear and well-thought-out. Otherwise, we just create useless noise that is hard to aggregate and filter. Use power with responsibility. One should always think twice before issuing a bug report. Neon is fantastic. Cheers.

Best wishes community,
Richard

Proud to be powered by Plasma
mcallegari
Registered Member
Are you guys sure that https://bugs.kde.org/ is the proper way to report bugs ?

An example regarding the tooltips issue I've seen: https://bugs.kde.org/show_bug.cgi?id=364849
Reported: 2016-06-28

It takes 1 minute to reproduce the issue on a vanilla KDE installation. Developers didn't even spend that minute to confirm the issue.

Furthermore, searching for bug reports of what I experienced I realized the bug tracking system is filled with UNCONFIRMED issues, as if nobody cares.
Also, this is not encouraging at all: https://blog.martin-graesslin.com/blog/ ... s-kde-org/
tosky
Registered Member
mcallegari wrote:Are you guys sure that https://bugs.kde.org/ is the proper way to report bugs ?

An example regarding the tooltips issue I've seen: https://bugs.kde.org/show_bug.cgi?id=364849
Reported: 2016-06-28

It takes 1 minute to reproduce the issue on a vanilla KDE installation. Developers didn't even spend that minute to confirm the issue.

Furthermore, searching for bug reports of what I experienced I realized the bug tracking system is filled with UNCONFIRMED issues, as if nobody cares.

Not all developers move the bug to CONFIRMED state, so that's not a proof (in fact, one of the developer answered in that bug you mentioned).

Also, this is not encouraging at all: https://blog.martin-graesslin.com/blog/ ... s-kde-org/

Unfortunately some users wants a pink pony (which would be fine) now and screaming about it. The post is about people offend after a technical answer.

tosky, proud to be a member of KDE forums since 2008-Oct.
mcallegari
Registered Member
tosky wrote:Not all developers move the bug to CONFIRMED state, so that's not a proof (in fact, one of the developer answered in that bug you mentioned).

I undestand, but the point is
- some user spent his time to report an issue, so basically trying to help improving KDE
- a developer even replied to him
- the issue is still there after almost a year

So what's the point in reporting issues at all if they're left to rot among other thousands ?

I took as an example the stupid tooltip issue, cause it's so damn evident that I'm surprised developers haven't done anything yet to resolve it.
(...as if multi monitor issues are not so damn evident either...lol ;D )

tosky wrote:Unfortunately some users wants a pink pony (which would be fine) now and screaming about it. The post is about people offend after a technical answer.

Yup, but please read some comments of that post. Some users (who reported issues in the past) are questioning the attitude of developers too.
tosky
Registered Member
mcallegari wrote:
tosky wrote:Not all developers move the bug to CONFIRMED state, so that's not a proof (in fact, one of the developer answered in that bug you mentioned).

I undestand, but the point is
- some user spent his time to report an issue, so basically trying to help improving KDE
- a developer even replied to him
- the issue is still there after almost a year

So what's the point in reporting issues at all if they're left to rot among other thousands ?

I took as an example the stupid tooltip issue, cause it's so damn evident that I'm surprised developers haven't done anything yet to resolve it.
(...as if multi monitor issues are not so damn evident either...lol ;D )

Not everything which seems easy to fix it is, and not everything that seems evident it is for in all scenarios or configurations.

And there is limited manpower.

tosky wrote:Unfortunately some users wants a pink pony (which would be fine) now and screaming about it. The post is about people offend after a technical answer.

Yup, but please read some comments of that post. Some users (who reported issues in the past) are questioning the attitude of developers too.

I complain a lot too. There are many ways to complain (or better, discuss), though.

tosky, proud to be a member of KDE forums since 2008-Oct.
mcallegari
Registered Member
tosky wrote:Not everything which seems easy to fix it is, and not everything that seems evident it is for in all scenarios or configurations.
And there is limited manpower.

So, to recap (and being provocative on purpose, speaking as the devil's advocate) the situation about real issues (not personal opinions, not fake ones) is:
- if there isn't enough manpower, the issue remains unresolved
- if the developer doesn't have time, the issue remains unresolved
- if the developer forgets about an issue (cause maybe he started working on something else), the issue remains unresolved
- if the developer is not able to reproduce an issue, it remains unresolved
- if the developer says he won't fix the issue, guess what ?
- if the developer says the issue doesn't concern KDE (see SDDM configuration), the issue remains unresolved
- if the issue is difficult to resolve, it remains unresolved
- if the issue report is not accurate, it remains unresolved
- if the developer doesn't like the tones of the reporter, the issue remains unresolved

If none of the above happened, the issue gets resolved ! Yay ! :)

Seems to me like the chances to get something fixed are like an astronomic coincidence that happens every time the proper planets get aligned :)
OR
All the above are basically excuses to justify a deep flaw in handling bug reports.

For the record, this is not just a KDE prerogative. I have issue reports opened since 2+ years in the Qt bug tracking system. Nobody cares.
xanaddams
Registered Member
OS
Hey, fun fact, it's 2023 and this is still an issue.

KDE Neon is not ready for 4K (or HiDPI if you prefer)
My laptop has a 15" touchscreen 4K display. A strange combination, I know, but I bought it mostly for that, to test my Qt application on every possible resolution.
In any case, 4K monitors are becoming more and more popular nowadays.
Result: you're going to have a GRUB menu and a SDDM login screen which are impossible to read. I can post the screenshots if you want.
Now, this is not a matter of Googling like hell and finding all the possible hacks to fix GRUB and SDDM. This is a matter of out-of-the-box user experience, which is bad considering we're in 2017, and not 1995.
How many more iterations will it take to have a damn option in the "Login Screen (SDDM)" configuration page to set a specific screen resolution ?
Or even better, why can't SDDM adopt by default the same resolution set in KDE ?

A simple dropdown in Login Screen (SDDM) would resolve this. It's been 5 years and we still don't even know where the file is that runs the resolutions for SDDM. neato :|

EDIT
Creating the file dpi.conf in /etc/sddm.conf.d/ and pasting
[X11]
ServerArguments=-nolisten tcp -dpi 192

works for me
Mace68
Registered Member
OS
xanaddams wrote:Hey, fun fact, it's 2023 and this is still an issue.

KDE Neon is not ready for 4K (or HiDPI if you prefer)
My laptop has a 15" touchscreen 4K display. A strange combination, I know, but I bought it mostly for that, to test my Qt application on every possible resolution.
In any case, 4K monitors are becoming more and more popular nowadays.
Result: you're going to have a GRUB menu and a SDDM login screen which are impossible to read. I can post the screenshots if you want.
Now, this is not a matter of Googling like hell and finding all the possible hacks to fix GRUB and SDDM. This is a matter of out-of-the-box user experience, which is bad considering we're in 2017, and not 1995.
How many more iterations will it take to have a damn option in the "Login Screen (SDDM)" configuration page to set a specific screen resolution ?
Or even better, why can't SDDM adopt by default the same resolution set in KDE ?

A simple dropdown in Login Screen (SDDM) would resolve this. It's been 5 years and we still don't even know where the file is that runs the resolutions for SDDM. neato :|

EDIT
Creating the file dpi.conf in /etc/sddm.conf.d/ and pasting
[X11]
ServerArguments=-nolisten tcp -dpi 192

works for me

Maybe submit a feature request (I would welcome a friendly fix for that too) rather than forum necromancy :D
dianarsitek
Registered Member
dianarsitek
Registered Member