This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

SDDM huge password box and login button

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
milos.j187
Registered Member
OS
Hello everyone, I'm just starting out in the linux world and I'm learning a lot. I have installed KDE Neon 5.9 with Plasma version 5.9.4. So far everything seems to be working great except the login screen. It does not show certain items correctly, specifically the password text box and the login button. I have tried adding the line "EnableHiDPI=true" to /etc/sddm.conf, and also "EnableHiDPI=false", but none of them fixes the issue. I have also tried adding the line "xrandr --dpi 96" to /usr/share/sddm/scripts/Xsetup, but that did not work either. That's all the possible solutions I could find, I'm not really competent enough to fix this on my own. I would really appreciate help from someone more experience. Thank in advance.
This is how it looks like:
http://imgur.com/a/ZtQFw
NoNameNoBlame
Your 'Xsetup'-idea would work. But:
Your command isn't formatted correctly:

'--output …' is missing.

Its format has to look something like this:
/usr/bin/xrandr --output LVDS-0 --mode 1920x1200 --scale 0.50x0.50

That's a magnification of physical size 1x1 (1920x1200) to virtual size 4x4,
and therefore not what You want to achieve.

If You would follow this example, You would see that it not only
resizes/scales sddm, but Your whole KDE desktop after login, too.

Is this, what You want?
Resizing both?
NoNameNoBlame
By the way:

The problem You have is not solvable with 'xrandr':

You either have:

* wrong fontsize
or
* wrong '*.qml'-file content

Looks to me as if You played around manually
within Your non-configuration files or as if You
copied them in from another OS.

# Conf-file Rules:

Rule 1 (Admin): Only change things under '/etc/…'

Rule 2 (User): Only change things under ${HOME}

Everything else will be overwritten by updates, sooner or later.
But probably, You knew those rules already.

I You want to manipulate other files, go on.
It's Your OS.

But You have to be an experienced Linux/Unix Admin or User.
milos.j187
Registered Member
OS
Hello NoNameNoBlame, thank you for taking your time to help me. The problem only affects the login screen, the rest of the system is fine. I did not know those rules, thank you for pointing that out to me, I'm just starting to learn about linux. I didn't copy the configuration file from another OS, the problem was there after installing the system, and reinstalling the system does not fix the issue. If I remember correctly I think I tried out Ubuntu 16.04 when it first came out and I think I had the same problem, the login screen was zoomed in like in the picture, but everything else worked fine. So based on what you said, I should modify just the /etc/sddm.conf file. My resolution is 1280x1024, and my dpi is 96. Can you tell me the exact command that I should put in the conf file ? I'm not really sure about the scale part in your first post, everything up to the scale part I understand. I'm using Neon 5.9.4, but I also had the same issue when I tried the stable version, 5.8.5.
NoNameNoBlame
My '--scale …' example was only meant to test if the change in sddm's Xsetup file would
affect the KDE_Plasma desktop, too.

I didn't want suggest that You use this example with these or Your hardware's numbers.

You're right: "/etc/sddm.conf" is the right place to go.

I use it myself to make the content bigger.
Unfortunately, some updates ago, the dpi change there, which worked
before, stopped working. I have to reexamine it myself.

At the bottom of
"https://github.com/sddm/sddm"

under
"Custom DPI"

You can see, how it's supposed to be configured.
NoNameNoBlame
# Resizing SDDM

# Step 1: Switch off the broken "breeze"-theming.
#

$ cat /etc/sddm.conf | command grep -A 4 '\[Theme\]'
[Theme]
# Current=breeze-nightmode
# CursorTheme=breeze_cursors
Current=
CursorTheme=

# Step 2, maybe not necessary. I did it, nonetheless.
#

# usermod -a -G video sddm

Result:
sddm is resizable again by /etc/sddm.conf, after being broken by KDE neon update.
milos.j187
Registered Member
OS
By putting this:

[X11]
ServerArguments=-nolisten tcp -dpi 120

in /etc/sddm.conf, only dpi for kde changed, but did not affect the login screen. I put 120 to see if something would change.
NoNameNoBlame
# With me, it's "XDisplay", not "X11":

$ cat /etc/sddm.conf | command grep -A 4 '\[XDisplay\]'
[XDisplay]
ServerArguments=-nolisten tcp -dpi 188

# My native resolution is 94 DPI. This double-sizes everything on screen.
milos.j187
Registered Member
OS
I did so, and this is how sddm looks like now: http://imgur.com/a/zMcEy
Didn't see your new post, I'll try it now.
milos.j187
Registered Member
OS
Didn't work, still looks like in the last picture.
NoNameNoBlame
Try again with smaller dpi.

Obviously, You were successful in changing something.

Did You try:

"usermod -a -G video sddm"?
milos.j187
Registered Member
OS
I tried it, didn't change anything. And smaller dpi only applies to kde, not sddm.
Thanks a lot NoNameNoBlame for your help. I lost too much time on this distro, I'm gonna install opensuse or wait for debian stretch, and going as far away from ubuntu as possible. Do you happen to know when is debian stretch coming out ?
NoNameNoBlame
Next Debian stable is planned for June, as far as I remember.

You're totally right:

Debian is my favorite distribution, too.
They know what they are doing.

And they don't break their users' operating system or
desktop.

I recommend Debian to everyone.

Thanks for the conversation.
Alrescha
Registered Member
Hi everyone, I'm new to the forum, and I'm having this same issue: my login screen is zoomed in. So, this is still an issue two years on after milos's original post. The screen appeared zoomed in right after initial installation of Kubuntu 19.10 (KDE 5.16) even before I made any changes to my user session.

It's not a "dealbreaker," but it does make it difficult or not possible to click on any of the icons on the login screen because they're either on the edge or offscreen.

Once I actually sign into the session, everything scales perfectly. I have this computer permanently connected to my TV, so I have my KDE user session scaled 150% so it will be readable comfortably from a few feet away.

Another detail is that this computer has an nVidia 1070Ti card, and I'm using the proprietary driver that is now bundled with Ubuntu 19.10 flavors. Could it be an issue of KDE interacting with this driver? I don't know for sure.

I also have Kubuntu 19.10 installed in an older laptop that only has integrated Intel video, and the login screen on that one is fine.
xanaddams
Registered Member
OS
Well, it's 2023 and the login screen is still a mess for me. Not really a mess, just so small that I can't see what I'm typing. If a resolution size dropdown could be added to Login Screen (sddm) in settings, that would fix a huge issue. Or at least put where the file is that controls that.

Creating the file dpi.conf in /etc/sddm.conf.d/ and pasting
[X11]
ServerArguments=-nolisten tcp -dpi 192

works for me