This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

Black Screen when trying to install from usb.

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
SadPotato
Registered Member
I really would like to install KDE Neon but when I try to boot from my USB I get the KDE Neon logo then it goes to a black screen and on my monitor, it says no signal. I tried pressing shift when the KDE Neon logo come up and using nomodeset but that does absolutely nothing. On Ubuntu I was able to get around the black screen using nomodeset but on KDE Neon it does nothing.

My Specs:
i5-6400
GTX-970
8GB DDR4 RAM
7200 RPM HDD
miladramzy
Registered Member
OS
did you check iso Checksum?
SadPotato
Registered Member
Uhm no I'm new to Linux and I don't know what that is. On the menu, though that says try without installing and install any option I choose goes to a black screen.
fredhoud
Registered Member
OS
First, write down the sha256sum by clicking on "neon-useredition-20170615-1018-amd64.sha256sum"
You should get this. c79eece355f64be7353beb008a53feb560c76baa59fa47da5721838ef913f970
After you download the iso into your download folder, open a terminal and type cd Downloads.
copy this "sha256sum neon-useredition-20170615-1018-amd64.iso", and paste it. Then if the iso sum matches, you have a good iso. ;)
SadPotato
Registered Member
I have tried to redownload the iso and try to install it again but this happens with every Ubuntu based distro. I get a black screen because I have a Nvidia card and usually have to use nomodeset and after installing the OS install Nvidia drivers and then it works fine but on KDE Neon it does nothing.

Last edited by SadPotato on Sun Jun 18, 2017 6:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
raddison
Registered Member
https://files.kde.org/neon/images/neon- ... .sha256sum

There's the sum. If you're having a hard time to checksum from the terminal, we'll recommend a GUI tool. Just say so.

Proud to be powered by Plasma
SadPotato
Registered Member
I have also just tried using the same iso in a VM and it works without a problem. I am 100% sure it's not a bad iso and it's because of my GPU.
raddison
Registered Member
Nah. The iso is okay. Probably hardware issue. Does it work with another graphics card?

Proud to be powered by Plasma
SadPotato
Registered Member
Like I said this happens with every Ubuntu based distro and I need to use nomodeset and after installation of the OS install the Nvidia drivers and then it works but nomodeset does not do anything at all in KDE Neon. Also, I do not have extra graphics cards lying around.
fredhoud
Registered Member
OS
Yeap .... I remember now I had the same issue when I had a Nvidia graphic card with Maui, which is based on Kde neon. Unfortunately there are no dedicated drivers for Nvidia. I ended building my own desktop with Linux friendly components! You can download Manjaro, and choose the Non-free during the installation, and that's what I had a year ago, but you also have to worry about break down once in awhile after an update, and I got tired of that, and switched to KDE neon, which has been my OS at home and work for more than a year now, and we have more than a dozen machines running like a charm on Neon. I also have a Toshiba Tecra Laptop with ATI driver, and Neon runs great on it. So I know ATI is compatible.
vinnywright
Registered Member
OS
I have a Nvidia GTX-860M ,,,,,your 970 is newer .

but I have no prob booting the Neon-lts .iso without using "nomodeset" ,,,,,,,,,,,, and letting the nouveau driver get used.

dose your system have highbread graphics both the Nvidia and maby Intel ?

VINNY
SadPotato
Registered Member
I have no idea what "highbread" graphics is but with some distros like Mint I don't need to use any special settings but with other distros the screen is black when trying to boot from USB and I am not the only one with this problem it seems like most people with Nvidia GTX cards have this issue but I don't know what causes it. For some reason when I look up the issue for KDE Neon I can't find any results only Ubuntu comes up. As far as the drivers go I don't know why it doesn't use nouveau drivers.

Last edited by SadPotato on Sun Jun 18, 2017 9:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SadPotato
Registered Member
fredhoud wrote:Yeap .... I remember now I had the same issue when I had a Nvidia graphic card with Maui, which is based on Kde neon. Unfortunately there are no dedicated drivers for Nvidia. I ended building my own desktop with Linux friendly components! You can download Manjaro, and choose the Non-free during the installation, and that's what I had a year ago, but you also have to worry about break down once in awhile after an update, and I got tired of that, and switched to KDE neon, which has been my OS at home and work for more than a year now, and we have more than a dozen machines running like a charm on Neon. I also have a Toshiba Tecra Laptop with ATI driver, and Neon runs great on it. So I know ATI is compatible.

Like this guy, he also had this issue with Nvidia.
fredhoud
Registered Member
OS
@vinnywright

Out of curiosity, where do you see the option using the "nomodeset" during the installation? ??? I've never seen that before!
toffeegatito
Registered Member
Hi,

There is a problem with Nvidia gtx 970 cards and KDE neon user LTS.

I tried KDE neon LTS on an intel GPU and on a nvidia GT 520 with success.

But on my main computer, i have a black screen (and nouveau errors) when booting on USB stick.
I have an Asus P6T motherboard, GTX 970 GPU and an Intel SSD.
I have tried everything : nomodeset then nouveau.modeset=0
Impossible to install.

I tried a Debian 9 stick and it's OK.

Thanks for helping .