This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

[SOLVED] CD/DVD Optical Drive Access Error

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
kenj69
Registered Member
OS
I just upgraded a system for my wife with KDE Neon 5.11 and real pleased with the result - except I get an error message when trying to access any DVD. The new system plays videos from YouTube just fine and putting a CD into the drive plays perfectly, even showing the album art. But, DVDs result in a rather large error message on a red background that says (abridged), "An error occurred while accessing ......... The requested operation has failed. Error mounting /dev/sr0 at /media/username/filename xxxxxxx

blah blah

.....missing codepage or helper program, or other error.

This machine was just upgraded from Linux Mint 17.3 and the multimedia was working fine.

-=Ken=-

Last edited by kenj69 on Thu Sep 27, 2018 6:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

KDE Neon 5.15, ASRock MB with Ryzen 3 1200 and 16 GB RAM, GEForce GT-710
gfielding
Registered Member
OS

Re: CD/DVD Optical Drive Access Error

Wed Jan 24, 2018 12:51 pm
I would check that /dev/sr0 is the right address first. Use K3b for this. Then try a different DVD and check that you have libdvdcss2 installed.
gfielding
Registered Member
OS
Another suggestion would be to try a different player - mplayer, smplayer etc
kenj69
Registered Member
OS
Thanks for the reply.

Both my rigs find the optical drives at /dev/sr0. I started up the older, upgraded rig (the one with the original problem) today and wouldn't you know, it found and played the DVD just fine! Was this as simple as a restart of the system?

But I tried checking both rigs for libdvdcss2 as you suggested and came up with nothing. I added k3b to both rigs and put in a blank DVD and both rigs put up an error message saying it couldn't find cdrecord executable. It added that the solution was to install the cdrtools package. I tried installing cdrtools but could not find it in Discover, Muon nor Synaptic Package Manger. Since the original problem is solved I suppose I should post this as a separate problem.

Thanks again,

-=Ken=-

Last edited by kenj69 on Thu Jan 25, 2018 10:09 pm, edited 2 times in total.

tosky
Registered Member
Try wodim and/or cdrskin.

tosky, proud to be a member of KDE forums since 2008-Oct.
kenj69
Registered Member
OS

Re: CD/DVD Optical Drive Access Error

Thu Jan 25, 2018 10:12 pm
Yes! Thanks, discovered wodim, installed and all is well.

So, k3b gives an error message calling for cdrtools ..... but KDE Neon needs wodim - or cdrskin?

How do I mark a topic as solved? It's not immediately obvious.

-=Ken=-

j8a
Registered Member
OS
hi, ken
edit the title of your post and add [SOLVED] at the beginning of the title.
Regards,