This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

wickrme doesn't launch after installation

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
vanlei
Registered Member
hello,

have tried and installed "Wickrme" for Ubuntu (https://me-download.wickr.com/#/version/me) on KDE Neon 5.13 - the installation seems to go through successfully but the app does not launch. It's the only app I've installed that presents a similar malfunction.

installing it via software centre or the "how to install" terminal commands (given on the page above) doesn't make any difference: the icon "Wickrme" appears in the OS's menu all right, except that when i click on it nothing happens.

any idea? thanks!
alideda
Registered Member
OS
WickrMe: error while loading shared libraries: libhunspell-1.3.so.0: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory.
The program was made for Ubuntu Xenial 16.04, it is not compatible for Ubuntu Bionic 18.04

The current build only works with Ubuntu 16.04 64-bit, and not 16.10.
vanlei
Registered Member
thanks alideda for the info.

I'm still a bit confused, though: according to https://neon.kde.org/faq, KDE Neon "uses the foundation of the latest Ubuntu LTS (16.04)."...

am I missing something here? or hasn't the FAQ not been updated and KDE Neon has already updated according to the section (same page) " Will you update the base to Ubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver?"

thanks!
acheronuk
KDE Developer
That shared library is in the libhunspell-1.3-0 package for Xenial.

It does not exist in Bionic.
alideda
Registered Member
OS
This library exists in Bionic but a more advanced version. The program is written exclusively for 16.04.
acheronuk
KDE Developer
I know. I was saying the package name and the lib version it supplies does not exist in bionic.

hunspell has a shared library package still, but the one required by Wickrme does not exist in bionic.
raddison
Registered Member
Get it from there if you need it https://packages.ubuntu.com/xenial/libhunspell-1.3-0 :) It'll work on Bionic as well.

Proud to be powered by Plasma
alideda
Registered Member
OS
Did you try it out? I'm trying to put this file in then missing more dependencies
dandv
Registered Member
OS
I've installed libhunspell with gdebi, but Wickr then needed libprotobuf.so.9.

I'm giving up on it. They need to clean up their act. Also, the installation instructions are incorrect (they refer to old filenames).
claydoh
Registered Member
OS
dandv wrote:I've installed libhunspell with gdebi, but Wickr then needed libprotobuf.so.9.

I'm giving up on it. They need to clean up their act. Also, the installation instructions are incorrect (they refer to old filenames).

Wickr explicitly states that they only support Ubuntu 16.04, so their instructions are correct, unfortunately.

claydoh, proud to be a member of KDE forums since 2008-Oct, and KDE user since 2001
dandv
Registered Member
OS
claydoh wrote:Wickr explicitly states that they only support Ubuntu 16.04, so their instructions are correct, unfortunately.

Support just told me they have an FAQ for Installing Wickr on Ubuntu 18.04, and there's a beta program for a snap package.
alideda
Registered Member
OS
dandv wrote:
claydoh wrote:Wickr explicitly states that they only support Ubuntu 16.04, so their instructions are correct, unfortunately.

Support just told me they have an FAQ for Installing Wickr on Ubuntu 18.04, and there's a beta program for a snap package.

Do you understand this line from the instructions? :-\
Code: Select all
echo "deb http://in.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ xenial main restricted universe" | sudo tee -a /etc/apt/sources.list

It is a line that goes to sources.list from 18.04 Bionic and the line is from 16.04 Xenial. Plus, the linux version does not support voice. There is a Telegram that encodes communication also supports voice communication. There is also a Signal or Tox program or Tor Chat, they all support encrypted communication. :)
My people say: Patching with a paw and a rope or Cutting Ears patching an as*
claydoh
Registered Member
OS

Seriously?
Mixing repos from different Ubuntu releases is a brilliantly terrible thing to tell people to do.
They could have just linked to the individual packages, perhaps. A snap package or something similar is a much better idea, to be sure.

claydoh, proud to be a member of KDE forums since 2008-Oct, and KDE user since 2001