This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

update

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
Mamarok
Manager
OS

Re: update

Fri Jan 25, 2019 10:18 am
sskyatmo wrote:...

1888 packages can be upgraded. Run 'apt list --upgradable' to see them.
N: Skipping acquire of configured file 'main/binary-i386/Packages' as repository 'http://dl.google.com/linux/earth/deb stable InRelease' doesn't support architecture 'i386'
x@x:~$

Now the next one......

The mention about google-earth just says that you have a source in your sources list that is obsolete, and earlier you can see it has been ignored. The capital N: just means "Note..", so not an error, not a warning, nothing like that. You can remove that just editing the sources list in Discover:

Open Discover
Go to "Settings"
Click on "Software Sources", then enter your password when requested.

A new window will open, there you go to the folder Named "Other Software"
Find the line that says google something and unselect the line. There will be an option to remove it in the lower right of the window, just click on it, then close the window by clicking on the Close" button at the lower right of it.
You will now have a pop-up that tells you your sources list is out of date (which is a normal procedure as you just removed a source list), click "Reload", then a progress-bar window will open and reload the sources list. Once this is done, click the "Close" button on it.
On Discover, you now go to the "Upgrade" option and do your upgrade. Just make sure you do not have the laptop go into sleep mode while this happens (I gather you have disabled this by now in the System Settings).
You can use your computer while it updates in the background, it will just be a bit sluggish on some actions, but an upgrade can run in the background without problems.
You will be prompted to reboot your laptop once this is done.

Running Kubuntu 22.10 with Plasma 5.26.3, Frameworks 5.100.0, Qt 5.15.6, kernel 5.19.0-23 on Ryzen 5 4600H, AMD Renoir, X11
FWIW: it's always useful to state the exact Plasma version (+ distribution) when asking questions, makes it easier to help ...
sskyatmo
Registered Member

Sat Jan 26, 2019 12:31 am
Good morning Mamorok,

the refreshing of the system took the best part of the night, no data losses.
That's good...

Now, I went into Discover, clicked settings and got a list with bionic and missing backends. No such a folder as software source or so.
I'd give you a screenshot, but that's to hard for me to accomplish.
Even after the night long refurbish which seems to have gone well there is no reaction if I click on update.
Still 1800 something updates to go...

I wonder how I am going to pay for all the beers I have to buy for you guys if you ever get to Australia....

Cheers,

Atmo
Mamarok
Manager
OS

Sun Jan 27, 2019 2:18 am
Please read my post again carefully, you tend to skip lines apparently. There certainly is an option "Software Sources" in Discover, and it is not a folder but a button (top right normally), the folders are in the new window that opens once you have entered your password.

Running Kubuntu 22.10 with Plasma 5.26.3, Frameworks 5.100.0, Qt 5.15.6, kernel 5.19.0-23 on Ryzen 5 4600H, AMD Renoir, X11
FWIW: it's always useful to state the exact Plasma version (+ distribution) when asking questions, makes it easier to help ...
thunder422
Registered Member
OS

Sun Jan 27, 2019 2:36 pm
Yeah, I'm not seeing an option for Software Sources in Discover either. The only options I see on that menu is About Discover and Report Bug... (My system is fully updated.)

Currently running KDE Neon 5.22.5 and 5.19.4 (with Windows 10 in a VM); migrated from Linux Mint 17.3
NoNameNoBlame

Sun Jan 27, 2019 2:53 pm
Current Discover Version:
$ plasma-discover --version
discover 5.14.5

on:

$ lsb_release -a
Distributor ID: neon
Description: KDE neon User Edition 5.14
Release: 18.04
Codename: bionic
Mamarok
Manager
OS

Sun Jan 27, 2019 3:38 pm
thunder422 wrote:Yeah, I'm not seeing an option for Software Sources in Discover either. The only options I see on that menu is About Discover and Report Bug... (My system is fully updated.)

Try clicking on the butzton with the three horizontal stripes, that opens a menu

My Discover version is 5.14.5, on Kubuntu I see a "Software Sources" button next to that menu button. The line title is "Ubuntu" as those are the main servers providing me with updates.

thunder422
Registered Member
OS

Mon Jan 28, 2019 12:20 am
Nothing there either, just disabled Make Default. I'm not seeing any other buttons on the Settings page. Maybe I'm missing a package that adds that button? Maybe the button isn't there on KDE Neon (I don't have Kubuntu).

Currently running KDE Neon 5.22.5 and 5.19.4 (with Windows 10 in a VM); migrated from Linux Mint 17.3
Mamarok
Manager
OS

Mon Jan 28, 2019 12:34 am
Looks like a bug to me, then, there definitely should be an option to edit the sources.

NoNameNoBlame

Mon Jan 28, 2019 2:59 am
It works and looks like on Mamarok's machine on
KDE neon User Edition, too.

Things to check and try:

1/2
====

Are these installed and up-to-date?

$ apt search 'plasma\-discover' |& grep -A1 -v -E 'dbgsym$|dev$' | grep -A1 installed | grep -o '^[^/]+'
plasma-discover-common
Discover software manager suite (common data files)
--
plasma-discover-flatpak-backend
Discover software manager suite - Flatpak support
--
plasma-discover-private
Private runtime libraries for the Discover suite
--
plasma-discover-snap-backend
Discover software manager suite - Snappy support
--
plasma-discover-updater
Update manager for KDE

2/2
===

If You have enough disk-space:

Install

$ apt search '^neon-desktop$' |& grep -A1 installed | grep -o '^[^/]+'
neon-desktop
KDE neon Plasma Desktop system

if it isn't.
NoNameNoBlame

Mon Jan 28, 2019 2:19 pm
Additional info regarding discover-version

On KDE neo User Edition, as of now,

$ kcmshell5 --silent about-distro &

should show:

Operating System: KDE neon 5.14
KDE Plasma Version: 5.14.5
Qt Version: 5.11.2
KDE Frameworks Version: 5.54.0
thunder422
Registered Member
OS

Mon Jan 28, 2019 4:24 pm
I have KDE Neon installed on three computers - none have a Software Sources button (the same as the images I posted previously). Two were installed from the 18.04 2018-12-20 ISO (both fully updated), and one from the earlier 16.04 2018-07-05 ISO later upgraded to 18.04 (and probably still at 5.14.3 because it hasn't been updated in a while - it's the wife's computer).

The first command you posted had no output, which was due to the final grep command not working because the '+' character needs to be escaped with a '\' (maybe I have bash configured differently via .bashrc). All those packages are installed.

$ apt search 'plasma\-discover' |& grep -A1 -v -E 'dbgsym$|dev$' | grep -A1 installed | grep -o '^[^/]+'
$ apt search 'plasma\-discover' |& grep -A1 -v -E 'dbgsym$|dev$' | grep -A1 installed | grep -o '^[^/]\+'
plasma-discover-common
Discover software manager suite (common data files)
--
plasma-discover-flatpak-backend
Discover software manager suite - Flatpak support
--
plasma-discover-private
Private runtime libraries for the Discover suite
--
plasma-discover-snap-backend
Discover software manager suite - Snappy support
--
plasma-discover-updater
Update manager for KDE
$ apt search '^neon-desktop$' |& grep -A1 installed | grep -o '^[^/]\+'
neon-desktop
KDE neon Plasma Desktop system

This is not really an issue for me (I can get to the software sources from either the Synaptic Package Manager or by editing the etc repository files directly from the terminal), but this may explain why the OP doesn't see a Software Sources button on his system.

NoNameNoBlame

Mon Jan 28, 2019 5:07 pm
Quote:
this may explain why the OP doesn't see a Software Sources button on his system.

Please, explain:

WHAT may explain … ?

I reread it twice. I can't follow. Sorry.

And thanks for additional data, by the way.
thunder422
Registered Member
OS

Mon Jan 28, 2019 5:34 pm
The OP couldn't find the Software Source button. I thought I would try to help him find it, but when I looked, I couldn't find it either. This could explain why he couldn't find it, because it's not there (at least it doesn't appear to be on my systems).

NoNameNoBlame

Mon Jan 28, 2019 5:46 pm
Now, I understand. Thanks.

All I can tell at the moment is:

I'm always using:

"pkcon refresh" + "pkcon update"

For me, this worked.

Obviously, there's a problem.

I think, I have to give up, for now.
No ideas.
vladpaval
Registered Member
OS

Tue Jan 29, 2019 7:01 pm
Sorry to jump in, I'd just say a word about that dreaded Software Sources button... (I know how frustrating that can be...)
To get the button show up in Discover (or Synaptic Package Manager, if you use it) you need to install software-properties-kde, then restart the Package Manager of your choice and the option/button should be there...