This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

Is KDE neon an operating system?

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
markfilipak
Registered Member
OS

Is KDE neon an operating system?

Thu Sep 26, 2019 3:10 am
Hello, it's nice to be here.

In the Linux Mint forum, here: https://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?p=1691865#p1691847, René recommended I try KDE neon, and that I download from here: https://neon.kde.org/download, so I did ('neon-user-20190919-1119.iso', 1,525,678,080 bytes).

I mounted & searched the ISO to determine what to name the VM into which I would install KDE neon -- like I named a Mint 19.2 VM, "Mint19.2". ...Fail.

Then, I went to the KDE neon home page and searched for a version #. ...Fail.

Then I went to the FAQ. At the FAQ, I noticed that KDE neon is not an operating system. ...Or is it?

Please advise.

Regards,
Mark Filipak.
thunder422
Registered Member
OS

Re: Is KDE neon an operating system?

Thu Sep 26, 2019 10:03 am
What VM software are you using. In VmWare and VirtualBox, pretend it is Linux Ubuntu 64-bit. In both I never had luck creating a VM directly from an ISO. Set up the VM manually (no OS, or install OS later), select the option to mount an ISO and boot it.

Currently running KDE Neon 5.22.5 and 5.19.4 (with Windows 10 in a VM); migrated from Linux Mint 17.3
markfilipak
Registered Member
OS
thunder422 wrote:What VM software are you using. In VmWare and VirtualBox, pretend it is Linux Ubuntu 64-bit. In both I never had luck creating a VM directly from an ISO. Set up the VM manually (no OS, or install OS later), select the option to mount an ISO and boot it.

Thank you. I know how to create VMs.

Is KDE neon a distro? It looks like a sampler of some sort. I ask because I want a distro. I need to get my operating system from a source that is willing and capable of providing support.
claydoh
Registered Member
OS
It isn't really a distro as the developers do not provide support for the underlying Ubuntu base, but only Plasma et al.
It is distro-like as they provide pre-built iso images as opposed to being just an add-on repository, which is easier for users to install or check out in a VM. Just adding the repos to an Ubuntu or on of it's 'flavours' does not always work without problems.
So it is a non-distro. Or something.

claydoh, proud to be a member of KDE forums since 2008-Oct, and KDE user since 2001
airdrik
Registered Member
OS
Depending on your support needs and your desire for up-to-date KDE apps and desktop, you probably want to go with (K)Ubuntu and get support though those channels as they will cover the whole operating system. Other options exist if you aren't tied to the ubuntu/debian ecosystem.
KDE Neon is aimed mainly at (casual) desktop users that want the combination of a stable core (ubuntu LTS) system with the latest KDE technologies. You can potentially get support for the core system through Ubuntu's channels and for the KDE technologies and Neon-specific differences through these forums, if this is the route you choose to take.

airdrik, proud to be a member of KDE forums since 2008-Dec.