This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

Installing x2go server on KDE5

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
Silicomancer
Registered Member

Installing x2go server on KDE5

Sat Nov 09, 2019 9:43 pm
Has someone successfully installed x2go server on a KDE5 system (especially KDE Neon 18.04)?
raphaelra
Registered Member
OS

Re: Installing x2go server on KDE5

Wed Mar 25, 2020 9:21 pm
I (try) to use x2so since two days ...

The instalation was easy. The first attempt with x2goclient failed. There is no startkde in KDE Neon, but a link to startplasma-x11 in /usr/bin helps. x2go has not or has limited support for Open GL. That is why many applications doesn't work. The kontact suite (kmail, akregator, ...) doesn't work. I can't see any plasmoids on desktop. I have not yet tested printer redirection and sound ...

But the performace over a 100/50 (down/up) MBit internet link is great :)

Neon: 5.25, Plasma: 5.26.0, Frameworks: 5.98.0, Qt: 5.15.6, Kernel: 5.15.0-50-generic (64bit), CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 PRO 4650G, GPU: AMD RENOIR, GUI-Platform: X11
boospy007
Registered Member
OS

Sat Mar 28, 2020 12:10 am
The only way is to use KDE as Terminalserver ist to install nomachine for workstation. The cheapest one is about 105 Euro (4 virtual sessions at the same time). You can buy it once. The support is really professional. With this it looks like an Windows Terminalserver. But Nomachine is much more. You can use the whole graphics from the server on your client. We played steam over it :)

With the free version you can only use it like VNC mit much more features, but test it.
kde-shway
Registered Member

Thu Jan 14, 2021 2:22 am
You can try the fixes explained here https://bytexd.com/x2go-ubuntu/#fix-kde ... te-startkd

I've tried both and they work for me.

Workaround 1
Change session type to Custom desktop with the command /usr/bin/startplasma-x11

Workaround 2
Create a symbolic link from /usr/bin/startkde to /usr/bin/startplasma-x11 by running

Code: Select all
sudo ln -s /usr/bin/startplasma-x11 /usr/bin/startkde
raphaelra
Registered Member
OS

Fri Nov 26, 2021 8:44 am
Did someone managed to use x2go (4.1.0.3-5) with the current plasma (see sig). On my box the kwin_x11 crashed because insufficient OpenGL support by x2go. I know, there is an separate x2go server with OpenGL support, but this thing is not supported by x2go and you must compile it by yourself.

Neon: 5.25, Plasma: 5.26.0, Frameworks: 5.98.0, Qt: 5.15.6, Kernel: 5.15.0-50-generic (64bit), CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 PRO 4650G, GPU: AMD RENOIR, GUI-Platform: X11
enboig
Registered Member

Tue Apr 12, 2022 8:09 am
I installed the server, and all seems correct. But the taskbar is "light gray" and when working locally is "dark grey"; so I thing some config is not loaded.

I also use keepassxc with ssh-agent to keep my ssh keys, and it is not working.

How could I solve this?

(the image at https://bytexd.com/x2go-ubuntu/#fix-kde ... te-startkd also shows light grey)
raphaelra
Registered Member
OS

Tue Apr 12, 2022 9:43 am
raphaelra wrote:/.../ On my box the kwin_x11 crashed because insufficient OpenGL support by x2go.

Kscreen was the reason for the error. I had not mentioned that I have two monitors. With two monitors I had the crash. Connecting with one monitor works ^-^