This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

Google Drive access not working

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
Tony_B
Registered Member

Re: Google Drive access not working

Sun Mar 01, 2020 8:05 pm
Same issue here.

Kubuntu 18.04 (Ubuntu Studio Version)
KDE Plasma 5.12.9
KDE Frameworks 5.44.0
tonysnc
Registered Member

Thu Mar 05, 2020 1:36 am
I was able to fix this manually on my system. I experience some of the same issues most people here referenced: setup the account with 2FA, it showed up just as "(Google)" in the Online Accounts page, and kio-gdrive (via Dolphin) wouldn't go anywhere with it. So following the instructions here https://bugs.kde.org/show_bug.cgi?id=414219 plus a few extra steps, I made it work. Basically you may need to do these steps:
Code: Select all
sqlite3 ~/.config/libaccounts-glib/accounts.db
.dump Accounts

Get the account id for your Google account (the first column). If this is your only account it is probably 1, but verify.
update Accounts set name = 'you@gmail.com' where id = 1;
update Settings set value = 'you@gmail.com' where account = 1 and key = 'name';
update Settings set value = 'you@gmail.com' where account = 1 key = 'username';

Certainly change the email address to yours and the ID number and account number in those SQL commands to the ID identified first.

After that I was able to refresh Online Accounts and see my account listed properly, then go visit Google Drive in Dolphin and see my files!

I hope that helps someone.
Al Muckart
Registered Member

Sat Mar 07, 2020 1:49 am
Thanks tonysnc for those steps. They helped once I'd persuaded kaccounts to actually create the Google account.

I have no idea why it worked, but creating an account in the sqlite db with:
INSERT INTO Accounts VALUES(1,'fred@flintstone.con','google',1);

but not creating anything in the settings etc. meant that when I next tried to create the account it worked and inserted the information into the database.

At that point I could use your commands, substituting 2 for 1 in the ID, to rename the account and set the username properly.

After restarting Dolphin it worked.
stoolpigeon
Registered Member
OS

Mon Mar 30, 2020 9:36 am
This was so helpful. Thank you for posting the sql lite fix it really saved my day.
bfeltman
Registered Member
OS

Thu Apr 09, 2020 1:06 pm
For me above solution doesnt fully work.
After @Al Muckart step and then @tonysnc I was able to see my gmail account in Dolphin > network > Google Drive > my email account but then there is "unknown error".

PRAGMA foreign_keys=OFF;
BEGIN TRANSACTION;
CREATE TABLE Accounts (id INTEGER PRIMARY KEY AUTOINCREMENT,name TEXT,provider TEXT,enabled INTEGER);
INSERT INTO Accounts VALUES(1,'my@gmail.com','google',1);
CREATE TRIGGER tg_delete_account BEFORE DELETE ON Accounts FOR EACH ROW BEGIN DELETE FROM Settings WHERE account = OLD.id; END;
COMMIT;
sqlite>
mtk0
Registered Member

Mon May 18, 2020 8:06 pm
i just want to confirm that as of 05/18/2020, this problem *still* exists (on a fresh fedora 32 KDE install). and the work-around of inserting a dummy entry into Accounts, followed by attempting to create an entry from System Settings/Online Accounts, followed by patching the newly created entry in the Accounts & Settings tables still *works*! thanks!
robertotamburrino
Registered Member
OS

Tue May 19, 2020 8:02 pm
I can't open google drive in dolphin on kde neon user, it asks me for email and password, but after date it gives me error: "Functionality Sign in with Google temporarily disabled for this app
This app has not yet been verified by Google and therefore cannot use the Sign in with Google feature. "
How do I go about starting gdrive in dolphin? :( since I'm not a programmer, can you tell me the steps to do from the terminal?
zigwen
Registered Member

Thu Jun 18, 2020 10:15 pm
Hello,

same unfortunate conclusion on my side using Kubuntu 18.04 : I have successfully inserted values into Accounts and Settings but got the "unknown error" message in dolphin ...
Any suggestion would be welcomed :)
Thanks.
shihabshahriar
Registered Member

Tue Jul 07, 2020 11:49 pm
Same problem, nothing happens once I provide email & password- just an empty window (Kubuntu 20.04)
Mamarok
Manager
OS

Wed Jul 08, 2020 10:47 am
The bug gives some hints how to solve the problem, please everybody read that bug report, get a newer Dolphin (the partial fix is in 19.12.3) and correct the access manually.

Running Kubuntu 22.10 with Plasma 5.26.3, Frameworks 5.100.0, Qt 5.15.6, kernel 5.19.0-23 on Ryzen 5 4600H, AMD Renoir, X11
FWIW: it's always useful to state the exact Plasma version (+ distribution) when asking questions, makes it easier to help ...
zaileion
Registered Member

Sun Oct 25, 2020 8:53 pm
I see this is a few months old but I just switched from Mate to KDE and the "Online Accounts" in System Settings has several options that don't work for me. Google, Skype, Telegram, Lync, Yahoo IM.

I click on Add New Account button, click on any of the above and it just flips back to No Accounts Yet + Add New Account (button).

I've reinstalled all KDE telepathy packages, rebooted etc... I can add Google accounts to Kmail and Kcalendar because they don't use the Online Accounts option in System Settings.

The Plasma Instant message, the Google Drive in Dolphin, etc. All the items that require the Online Accounts in System Settings fail to operate.

I am using KDE Neon 5.20. Just installed 2 days ago (10/23/20)
I have KDE Neon 5.20 Testing on a different laptop and the same issue occurs on the testing release.

I would be most grateful for any advice.

Thank you!
tomi74
Registered Member
OS

Fri Oct 30, 2020 12:25 am
Hello tonysnc,
I have tried to do that steps you wrote, but they have not helped me. It is not clear to me what I should write the place of 'name' and 'username' exactly. It seems an “and” word is missing form third command line, where the 'username' word is, isn’t it?
Thanks in advance,
Tomi

tonysnc wrote:I was able to fix this manually on my system. I experience some of the same issues most people here referenced: setup the account with 2FA, it showed up just as "(Google)" in the Online Accounts page, and kio-gdrive (via Dolphin) wouldn't go anywhere with it. So following the instructions here https://bugs.kde.org/show_bug.cgi?id=414219 plus a few extra steps, I made it work. Basically you may need to do these steps:
sqlite3 ~/.config/libaccounts-glib/accounts.db
.dump Accounts

Get the account id for your Google account (the first column). If this is your only account it is probably 1, but verify.
update Accounts set name = 'you@gmail.com' where id = 1;
update Settings set value = 'you@gmail.com' where account = 1 and key = 'name';
update Settings set value = 'you@gmail.com' where account = 1 key = 'username';

Certainly change the email address to yours and the ID number and account number in those SQL commands to the ID identified first.

After that I was able to refresh Online Accounts and see my account listed properly, then go visit Google Drive in Dolphin and see my files!

I hope that helps someone.
Walker Luiz Freitas
Registered Member
OS

Mon Nov 02, 2020 4:56 pm
The year is finishing and no more solution for this? In Gnome and MacOS the Google online account function perfectly.
Walker Luiz Freitas
Registered Member
OS

Sun Jan 03, 2021 2:40 pm
I use KDE Neon at 2 years ago, but yet today the Google Drive no function in Dolphin. I would like at peoples this site could help me, but yet today i hope an answer.

Operating System: KDE neon 5.20
KDE Plasma Version: 5.20.4
KDE Frameworks Version: 5.77.0
Qt Version: 5.15.2
Kernel Version: 5.4.0-58-generic
OS Type: 64-bit
Processors: 8 × Intel® Core™ i7-7700HQ CPU @ 2.80GHz
Memory: 15.4 GiB of RAM
Graphics Processor: GeForce GTX 1050 / PCIe / SSE2
helaman
Registered Member

Sat Feb 13, 2021 4:56 am
Here is what I did... Running on kubuntu 20.04. Took me about an hour and half to find a way to make it work.

sudo apt install kio-gdrive
sudo apt install sqlite3
In system settings under Online Accounts click on Add new Account.
Refresh on the google authentication window by right clicking and choosing refresh. Sometimes had to do this multiple times.
It eventually worked.

Additional tip for files shared with me in google drive that I don't own, I used shift-z in on google drive web page after selecting the folder to add a "hard-link", since the "soft-links" iE shortcut in the right click menu doesn't work in kio-gdrive as it shows as a weird file.