This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

HPlip

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
dacorsa
Registered Member

HPlip

Sat Feb 01, 2020 8:47 am
Goodmorning,

i have tried to install hplip but i receive this:

warning: neon distro is not found in AUTH_TYPES

How can i solve it?

Thanks
thunder422
Registered Member
OS

Re: HPlip

Mon Feb 03, 2020 12:15 am
How do you try to install it? I seem to remember having a similar problem. I did get it installed and it works (both printing and scanning). It doesn't look like I have complete notes on what I did, but they say that I ran hplib-3.19.1.run, which implies that I downloaded it first. Looks like the current version is hplib-3.19.12.run. This can be downloaded from https://developers.hp.com/hp-linux-imaging-and-printing/gethplip, select Ubuntu. Instructions for installing are at https://developers.hp.com/hp-linux-imaging-and-printing/install/install/index.

I have notes about the packages that needed to be installed (these are in addition to what I had installed before this, so this may not be a complete list, and may be extra packages not needed as I kept installing until I got it to work): pyqt5-dev, libnet-snmp-perl, libsane-dev, python-pil, libcups2-dev, libusb-dev, libtool, libsnmp-dev, libgusb-dev, pyqt5-dbus.mainloop.pyqt5, python-qt4-dbus, python3-dbus.mainloop.qt, python3-pyqt4, python-dbus-dev, python-notify, pyqt5-dev-tools, python-pyqt5, python3-qtpy, libtool-bin, python-qt4-dev, ptqt4-dev-tools, all other pyqt5. I don't remember how I figured out these needed to be installed - either it told me, or I was guessing.

My final note says that selecting Qt4 allowed it to be successfully installed (selecting Qt5 did not work). I believe that I needed to select Custom install and answer a bunch of questions (because the Automatic install failed probably because it didn't know what Neon was).

Currently running KDE Neon 5.22.5 and 5.19.4 (with Windows 10 in a VM); migrated from Linux Mint 17.3
claydoh
Registered Member
OS

Mon Feb 03, 2020 4:32 am
If HPLIP graphical front end from the normal Ubuntu repos ( the package called hplip-gui) does not support your printer, you can modify your system to temporarily identify itself as Ubuntu, so the manual installer will work:

Edit /etc/lsb-release and change first line value from neon to ubuntu
Run hplip installer
Afterward, edit /etc/lsb-release and restore first line value to neon

claydoh, proud to be a member of KDE forums since 2008-Oct, and KDE user since 2001
dacorsa
Registered Member

Mon Feb 03, 2020 1:28 pm
Thanks to all,

i will try, and will report to you what happen

Best regards
jimmyz
Registered Member

Sat Sep 05, 2020 3:26 pm
I know it's an old topic, but for any good it could be,

"edit /etc/lsb-release and change first line value from neon to ubuntu", didn't help in my case at all.
The problem was that hp-setup needed to run as root:
Code: Select all
sudo hp-setup

was enough ;)
pnunn_oz
Registered Member

Mon Dec 26, 2022 1:08 am
I'm having a devils own time with this.. I simply cannot get my hp4050 to install on this version of NEON (jammy).

I constantly get Error : successful-ok-ignored-or-substituted-attributes no matter what I try.

I've tried editing lsb-release with no change (I've changed ubuntu to neon in /usr/share/hplip/base/password.py).

hp-doctor and hp-test now fail with

-Traceback (most recent call last):
File "/usr/bin/hp-check", line 861, in <module>
dep.core.init()
File "/usr/share/hplip/installer/core_install.py", line 523, in init
self.get_distro()
File "/usr/share/hplip/installer/core_install.py", line 661, in get_distro
if 'MX' in distro_release_name:
NameError: name 'distro_release_name' is not defined
Error in sys.excepthook:
Traceback (most recent call last):
File "/usr/lib/python3/dist-packages/apport_python_hook.py", line 153, in apport_excepthook
with os.fdopen(os.open(pr_filename,
FileNotFoundError: [Errno 2] No such file or directory: '/var/crash/_usr_share_hplip_check.py.0.crash'

I'm at a loss. This worked on the previous install of Neon but since a re-install. NO JOY.

Any ideas, this is really killing me.
P.

jimmyz wrote:I know it's an old topic, but for any good it could be,

"edit /etc/lsb-release and change first line value from neon to ubuntu", didn't help in my case at all.
The problem was that hp-setup needed to run as root:
Code: Select all
sudo hp-setup

was enough ;)
claydoh
Registered Member
OS

Tue Dec 27, 2022 1:14 pm
pnunn_oz wrote:I'm having a devils own time with this.. I simply cannot get my hp4050 to install on this version of NEON (jammy).

I constantly get Error : successful-ok-ignored-or-substituted-attributes no matter what I try.

I've tried editing lsb-release with no change (I've changed ubuntu to neon in /usr/share/hplip/base/password.py).

hp-doctor and hp-test now fail with

-Traceback (most recent call last):
File "/usr/bin/hp-check", line 861, in <module>
dep.core.init()
File "/usr/share/hplip/installer/core_install.py", line 523, in init
self.get_distro()
File "/usr/share/hplip/installer/core_install.py", line 661, in get_distro
if 'MX' in distro_release_name:
NameError: name 'distro_release_name' is not defined
Error in sys.excepthook:
Traceback (most recent call last):
File "/usr/lib/python3/dist-packages/apport_python_hook.py", line 153, in apport_excepthook
with os.fdopen(os.open(pr_filename,
FileNotFoundError: [Errno 2] No such file or directory: '/var/crash/_usr_share_hplip_check.py.0.crash'

I'm at a loss. This worked on the previous install of Neon but since a re-install. NO JOY.

Any ideas, this is really killing me.
P.

You might try downloading a non-deb installer from HP from https://developers.hp.com/hp-linux-imag ... g/gethplip
Just select 'Others" to download the .run file
hplip software seems to be a pita sometimes, in general, not just Neon
https://bugs.launchpad.net/hplip/+bug/1991435

claydoh, proud to be a member of KDE forums since 2008-Oct, and KDE user since 2001