This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

plasma 5.18.1 hi-dpi regression

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
Sanette
Registered Member
OS

plasma 5.18.1 hi-dpi regression

Wed Feb 26, 2020 8:38 am
Hi

I'm not sure exactly what caused this, but right after the latest Neon upgrade which included plasma 5.18.1, my desktop is now not handling hi-dpi as well as it used to.
For instance my icons in dolphin suddenly became smaller. That's not a problem since I can still use the zoom slider to adjust them.
The most problematic for me is the multi-monitor setting. I'm setting
Code: Select all
export QT_SCREEN_SCALE_FACTORS='eDP-1=2;DP-1=1;'

at startup, and the result used to be quite nice: if I open konsole, and move it from one monitor to another, it would automatically adjust font scaling.
Since the 5.18.1 upgrade, the behaviour is weird, kind of half-way: on the one hand, when I move a konsole window to the other monitor, I can see that the spacing between line becomes twice smaller, which is good, but on the other hand, the font size does not change, resulting in lines covering each other and becoming unreadable.

I can try to report a bug, but I'm not sure which component is responsible for this
Mamarok
Manager
OS

Re: plasma 5.18.1 hi-dpi regression

Wed Feb 26, 2020 10:59 am
still happening with 5.18.2?

Running Kubuntu 22.10 with Plasma 5.26.3, Frameworks 5.100.0, Qt 5.15.6, kernel 5.19.0-23 on Ryzen 5 4600H, AMD Renoir, X11
FWIW: it's always useful to state the exact Plasma version (+ distribution) when asking questions, makes it easier to help ...
Sanette
Registered Member
OS

Mon Mar 02, 2020 10:18 am
Yes, still happening with 5.18.2.

Maybe even worse, I get some weird mixed behaviour in systemsettings, where some of the fonts are small, other are big

And Dolphin is becoming crazy...
Sanette
Registered Member
OS

Tue Mar 03, 2020 7:06 am
Is there a way to revert to an older version of plasma ?
PatientZero
Registered Member
OS

Fri Mar 06, 2020 3:00 pm
I had sort of the same problems on my manjaro kde install. It drove me crazy, couldn't get it right again. I ended up reinstalling my system and now i'm happily on Neon. No problems so far...
xdever
Registered Member

Thu Apr 02, 2020 7:42 am
For me, it is working well for QT applications if I set QT_SCREEN_SCALE_FACTORS="eDP1=1.5;HDMI1=1;DP1=1,DP2=1" together with QT_AUTO_SCREEN_SCALE_FACTOR=1 on Manjaro.

Does anyone have an idea of how to make GTK apps like chrome and PyCharm work in the same way? How even KDE communicate the (fractional) scale? Is it just with the font scaling for GTK apps? Could be xcb_change_property used to communicate the change?