This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

How to stay on 5.18 LTS rather than going on newer branch?

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
matemat
Registered Member
Hello,

I would like my desktop to stay on the LTS version, to avoid instabilities introduced by further versions.
Have you guys introduced a way to make this?

Operating System: KDE neon 5.18
KDE Plasma Version: 5.18.2
KDE Frameworks Version: 5.67.0
Qt Version: 5.14.1
Kernel Version: 5.3.0-40-generic

Thanks for making KDE-neon, great piece of software.
Regards
airdrik
Registered Member
OS
I'd recommend that when Kubuntu 20.04 comes out next month, you might hop onto that and let Neon plow forward without you. (K)Ubuntu 20.04 is the next LTS Ubuntu release, which means you'll get a stable version of Plasma and everything else with only bug fixes and security updates for the next several years (or until the next LTS version 22.04).

As far as trying to stay on Neon but stick with Plasma 5.18, I wouldn't recommend it. That defeats the purpose of being on Neon (to keep up-to-date with latest updates to kde software)..

airdrik, proud to be a member of KDE forums since 2008-Dec.
matemat
Registered Member
Thanks for your answer,
I figured you are right, kubuntu 20.04LTS is coming up. They will provide a stable version over the years.
Best
vishalrao
Registered Member
OS
There is also Neon Plasma LTS edition which should be on 5.18 for long term, try https://files.kde.org/neon/images/plasma_lts/current/

"Thou shalt not follow the null pointer for at its end madness and chaos lie."
claydoh
Registered Member
OS
vishalrao wrote:There is also Neon Plasma LTS edition which should be on 5.18 for long term, try https://files.kde.org/neon/images/plasma_lts/current/

The uer LTS is, iirc, now unsupported. it contains the previous Plasma LTS (5.12.x)

claydoh, proud to be a member of KDE forums since 2008-Oct, and KDE user since 2001
vishalrao
Registered Member
OS
Oh I see, then I guess, yeah, the soon-to-be-released Kubuntu 20.04 is probably the best bet then for Plasma 5.18 LTS support.

"Thou shalt not follow the null pointer for at its end madness and chaos lie."
acrux
Registered Member
OS
claydoh wrote:The uer LTS is, iirc, now unsupported. it contains the previous Plasma LTS (5.12.x)

That's not completely true - it contains Plasma 5.18.3 but yes - it seems to be unsupported thus the direct download link is missing.
Packages are listed in manifest file e.g.: http://mirrors.dotsrc.org/kde-applicati ... 2.manifest
waynes
Registered Member
What do you mean it's unsupported?
The last update to the LTS branch iso was 12th March, 2 days ago. I have it installed and there are plenty of updates coming through.
Or am I missing something?
claydoh
Registered Member
OS
acrux wrote:
claydoh wrote:The uer LTS is, iirc, now unsupported. it contains the previous Plasma LTS (5.12.x)

That's not completely true - it contains Plasma 5.18.3 but yes - it seems to be unsupported thus the direct download link is missing.
Packages are listed in manifest file e.g.: http://mirrors.dotsrc.org/kde-applicati ... 2.manifest

Ah, I missed that somehow, I was looking at file versions somewhere, and did not see anything past 5.12.x.

claydoh, proud to be a member of KDE forums since 2008-Oct, and KDE user since 2001
claydoh
Registered Member
OS
waynes wrote:What do you mean it's unsupported?

"Unsupported" may not technically be correct, for sure, but it definitely is no longer advertised, mentioned or recommended by the Neon team, and they even state that a proper LTS distro would be more suitable.

https://blog.neon.kde.org/index.php/201 ... s-edition/

Posted on February 12, 2018
With the new Plasma LTS came an update to KDE neon LTS Edition and lots of people asking which edition to use and what the difference is. This caused us to review the purpose of LTS and as a result we’ve just hidden LTS from the download page. The only difference with the LTS edition is that it stays on Plasma’s LTS release but apps and libraries still get updates. This doesn’t fit well with the main use cases of an LTS which is that it only gets bug fixes and no new features. Further we test Neon LTS edition less than any other edition so it’s more likely we’ll miss some problem, which is the opposite of what most people would expect. There are distros whose release model fits better with the needs of Plasma LTS but the constant updates of Neon don’t fit too well. We’ll keep the edition around and don’t expect to make any changes to the repositories or builds, they’re useful for devs testing Plasma LTS, but we’re not advertising it for download since it gives a different expectation of what to expect than fits into the release method of Neon.

I recall discussion about keeping it around for those few who run it. Luckily it is automatically built/tested, so it is not hard to produce.

I have it installed and there are plenty of updates coming through.

This illustrates why the User LTS is not truly an LTS.