This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

Mouse wheel no longer scrolls desktops.

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
jwt873
Registered Member
Just updated my KDE Neon via the auto update feature.

Everything seems the same, but I can no longer switch desktops using the mouse wheel.

I can switch desktops using the 'Desktops' widget on my Task Manager bar.
It also works using 'Ctrl' plus an F key.
I've gone through "System Settings -> Workspace" and can't find anything there that will help.

Really missing the mouse wheel desktop switching feature......

System is as follows:

KDE neon 5.18
KDE Plasma Version: 5.18.4
KDE Frameworks Version: 5.69.0

QT Version: 5.14.2
OS Type: 64 bit
Kernel Version 4.15.0-96-generic
jwt873
Registered Member
More digging shows that this is a bug https://bugs.kde.org/show_bug.cgi?id=419867
jwt873
Registered Member
In my post above I included a link showing the issue was resolved. I just updated to Plasma 5.18.5. The problem still persists..

I still can't find anything in "System settings" that helps . What do I need to do in order to resume scrolling desktops with my mouse wheel?
msohnius
Registered Member
For what it is worth, I came across this problem only yesterday, after applying updates to my OpenSuse 15.1.
I think I have Plasma framework 5.55.0 and plasmashell 5.12.8, but I am also using an ancient set of desktop configurations, which I copy from one installation to the next.

By sheer accident, I found the following fix, at least for me:
Since after the update the ugly, much too wide icon-spacing on my folder-view desktop was back, I dug into my old notes and found once again how to fix that, thanks to viewtopic.php?f=289&t=136447. I did as indicated, the icon-spacing was back to something sensible, and, lo and behold, the scroll wheel now again rotates the cube with my desktops!

The only change I made was to edit the file /usr/share/plasma/plasmoids/org.kde.desktopcontainment/contents/ui/FolderView.qml like this:
Code: Select all
# diff FolderView.qml.orig FolderView.qml
594c594
<                             return minIconWidth + extraWidth;
---
>                             return minIconWidth + extraWidth - 60;
610c610
<                             return iconHeight + extraHeight;
---
>                             return iconHeight + extraHeight - 20;

I have no idea how that could affect the desktop switching behaviour, other than that it may hide a bug, possibly related to icons overflowing the edge of the screen, which is avoided by tighter spacing. This seems consistent with the observation in the last comment to bug #419867:
Looks like the scrollevent gets eaten in [...] FolderView.qml#L634