This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

Make sudo applications use breeze-dark theme

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
HinzundKunz
Registered Member
OS
Hi everyone,

I have switched to use Breeze-dark theme, and generally it is working fine. But when I start synaptics, it displays in normal Breeze theme. The same happens if I start a program from konsole with sudo (e.g. partitionmanager). Any hints how to change this?

Operating System: KDE neon 5.19
KDE Plasma Version: 5.19.4
KDE Frameworks Version: 5.73.0
Qt Version: 5.14.2
Kernel Version: 5.4.0-42-generic
OS Type: 64-bit
Processors: 4 × Intel® Core™ i5-7200U CPU @ 2.50GHz
Memory: 7.6 GiB of RAM
Graphics Processor: GeForce 940MX/PCIe/SSE2
abury
Registered Member
OS
Mmmm... did you tweak the GNOME/GTK Application Style to explicitly choose the dark theme?

KDE neon 5.20 - Plasma 5.20.5 - Frameworks 5.78 - Qt 5.15.2 - Kernel 5.4.0-65
beerislife
Registered Member
You could set root apps to use the dark theme in root settings:

sudo -i systemsettings5

I had problems with extra large fonts in some sudo apps (Partition Editor) and setting them to the same size as user fixed it.
abury
Registered Member
OS
beerislife wrote:You could set root apps to use the dark theme in root settings...

+1 awesome!
and here I was logging in as root user to make these system changes
thank you for that tip!

HinzundKunz
Registered Member
OS
Funny thing is, if I do sudo -i systemsettings5, then I cannot change gtk themes - the module just doesn't show up... Also, systemsettings appear in normal Breeze theme, although I have chosen Breeze-dark...
HinzundKunz
Registered Member
OS
abury wrote:Mmmm... did you tweak the GNOME/GTK Application Style to explicitly choose the dark theme?

Yes, I did that, and it works with normal applications, but not with applications that use sudo mode (like synaptics)
Merrit
Registered Member
Did you ever figure this out? Same issue, still light theme after choosing dark, the module for GTK settings doesn't exist when run as root..
abury
Registered Member
OS
HinzundKunz wrote:... but not with applications that use sudo mode (like synaptics)

Good news... some apps, like synaptic will eventually, with newer versions of plasma+frameworks, conform
Before that discovery however, I would tweak synaptic (at least) to use a custom font (in Settings > Prefs)

wptpqetu
Registered Member
Paste in /etc/environment
XDG_CURRENT_DESKTOP="KDE"
Taken from https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IjOZwAIKKhg
StSav012
Registered Member
Just
Code: Select all
sudo cp -R {~,/root}/.config/gtk-3.0
mila
Registered Member
I tried everything what was suggested here and Krusader run in root mode still seems to use "Breeze" instead of "Breeze-Dark". I also made sure that ~/.kde/share/config/kdeglobals is the same as /root/.kde/share/config/kdeglobals. When I run "sudo -i systemsettings5" currently selected theme is "Breeze-Dark", but the window with system settings is bright. I tried to choose "Breeze" and then "Breeze-Dark" again, but after applying the settings I got this in the console:
Code: Select all
QDBusConnection: error: could not send signal to service "" path "//root/.kde/share/config/kdeglobals" interface "org.kde.kconfig.notify" member "ConfigChanged": Invalid object path: //root/.kde/share/config/kdeglobals
QQmlComponent: Must provide an engine before calling setData
QQmlComponent: Must provide an engine before calling create
KCrash: crashing... crashRecursionCounter = 2
KCrash: Application Name = systemsettings5 path = /usr/bin pid = 6130
KCrash: Arguments: /usr/bin/systemsettings5
KCrash: Attempting to start /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libexec/drkonqi
QStandardPaths: XDG_RUNTIME_DIR not set, defaulting to '/tmp/runtime-root'

BTW: I managed to make Synaptic Package Manager run in privileged mode follow "Breeze-Dark", but Krusader (Qt) is still "Breeze". Any idea what else can be done?