This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

Catastrophic upgrade of KDE Neon 5.19.5 to 5.20.0

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
blackmojo
Registered Member
Hello, as stated in my (french) presentation, I was a happy Neon user and a fervent supporter of Plasma ! But that was before. I have just switched from 5.19.5 to 5.20.0. And now, disaster : Plasma doesn't work : the windows are no longer resizable, there is no more main bar (the top bar of the window as well as that of the menus), you can't move them using the [Alt] key, you can't move them using the main bar either, since it doesn't appear anymore. All the settings made prior to this "update" have disappeared, no more unplash background for example, but also all the long and complex configuration of the whole.
I'm using a dual screen that has been working perfectly for the last 3 years : 15" laptop screen + hdmi LG TV. Now I'm forced to start in Plasma Wayland to hope to (bad) achieve something, plasma or mobile plasma (which is rather tablet oriented?) don't work anymore. When I resize or move a window, I get blinking, blocking, sometimes ghost windows etc..

Thank you for taking the time to read me. See you soon I hope.

---------------------
Operating System: KDE neon 5.20
KDE Plasma Version: 5.20.0
KDE Frameworks Version: 5.75.0
Qt Version: 5.15.0
Kernel Version: 5.4.0-51-generic
OS Type: 64-bit
Processors: 8 × Intel® Core™ i7-3612QM CPU @ 2.10GHz
Memory: 15.5 Gio of RAM
Graphics Processor: Mesa DRI Intel® HD Graphics 4000

Last edited by blackmojo on Sun Oct 18, 2020 5:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Don B. Cilly
Registered Member
OS
There was a problem with kwin_x11, but it was fixed a few days ago. Have you tried/managed to update it recently?
From the CLI, sudo pkcon refresh && sudo pkcon update
blackmojo
Registered Member
Don B. Cilly wrote:There was a problem with kwin_x11, but it was fixed a few days ago. Have you tried/managed to update it recently?
From the CLI, sudo pkcon refresh && sudo pkcon update

Thanks for answer, but all is upgraded and the problem still persist. What's your config ?
Don B. Cilly
Registered Member
OS
Operating System: KDE neon 5.20 (20.04 base).
KDE Plasma Version: 5.20.0
KDE Frameworks Version: 5.75.0
Qt Version: 5.15.0
Kernel Version: 5.4.0-51-generic
OS Type: 64-bit
Processors: 4 × Intel® Celeron® CPU J1900 @ 1.99GHz
Memory: 7.7 GiB of RAM
Graphics Processor: (nvidia) GeForce GT 710/PCIe/SSE2

So, basically, I have nvidia, you have Intel... the rest is pretty much the same.
my kwin_x11 --version says kwin 5.20.0. Yours?
blackmojo
Registered Member
5.20.0 like yours.

I have other issues, the most problematic is the copy/paste. Sorry to add more and more problems, but I find them along the time using Neon ...

I considere migrating toward a more stable distribution ... More basic maybe, and I I'm sorry about that, but I need something working !