This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

ebook readers? (Calibre, Mcomix, MuPDF, Okular,...)

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
dchmelik
Registered Member
OS
I'd like to install Calibre, Mcomix, MuPDF, Okular, maybe WINE/Kindle (as I have free and some otherwise-unavailable .AZW ebooks, but I do not advocate proprietary/Amazon/Kindle software)... sad to see there are currently problems preventing installing calibre and calibre-bin, as a main usage of a laptop/hybrid (very lightweight) is as an ebook... will that be foxed? I installed some of the PDF readers and will test Mcomix later. A couple older comic book readers would be sufficient otherwise.

programmer since 1993, UNIX user since 1997, X/KDE user since '0s, forum member since 2008-11
claydoh
Registered Member
OS
A more current version of calibre is readily available from Calibre's website. The issue is beyond Neon's control.

Neon is not really a distro. They only provides Plasma, KDE Applications and Frameworks, and the required updated Qt libraries. They do not provide much of anything outside of this. Anything else is straight from Ubuntu, or obtained in the same manner or sources that an Ubuntu user would.

claydoh, proud to be a member of KDE forums since 2008-Oct, and KDE user since 2001
dchmelik
Registered Member
OS
claydoh wrote:[...]Neon is not really a distro.[...]

The way I think about operating system (OS) distributions (distros) it is: despite KDE only changing the KDE part, they do distribution of a complete OS (ISO) (and it's not 'just Ubuntu w/KDE' as favours pkcon over apt, a reason why one isn't allowed to ask about Neon in Ubuntu help areas.)

I recommended Neon to average users and think I made a mistake. If they use Kubuntu, they had a lot of old KDE bugs going unfixed. If they use Neon, the entire underlying OS can crash/die and EVERYONE DENIES RESPONSIBILITY! (both Ubuntu and KDE do so.) Is it engineering ethics to deny responsibility for something someone distributed?

programmer since 1993, UNIX user since 1997, X/KDE user since '0s, forum member since 2008-11