This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

Can't See Login Screen

Tags: neon, sddm, plasma neon, sddm, plasma neon, sddm, plasma
(comma "," separated)
adch99
Registered Member

Can't See Login Screen

Mon Feb 01, 2021 12:32 pm
Sorry for posting to the wrong forum, for some reason it didn't show me the option of Neon in the guided posting list. I can't find an option to delete the post, so I request the mods to delete it.

I am on KDE Neon User Edition 5.20. When I boot up, the process stops at just before opening the login screen. It shows my manufacturer's (HP) splash screen with the standard Plasma mouse visible. Now this has happened following a messed up update a month ago. The system has since then been updated completely and I don't know which package is causing this. I can work around it by going to a virtual terminal with Ctrl+Alt+F2, logging in and starting a new Xserver. Doing that gets me the Plasma desktop and I have been logged in in the desktop already. In it, I cannot open System Settings. It just hangs the system, a window decoration also appears but it nothing comes up in the window. After a while, it says the application crashed. The CPU load skyrockets during this time. I am including the error messages from systemsettings5 below. I can't even open the system information application. Dolphin and Konsole work fine though. I have tried clearing the cache, ran bleachbit both as normal user and as root but it doesn't work. I even made a new user and the set an autologin for it in /etc/sddm.conf. The autologin gets me inside bypassing the login screen, but still System Settings has the same issue on this new user as well. Unsurprisingly, switch user also leads to a blank screen, however, screen locking/unlocking is absolutely fine. I have tried reinstalling the 'login' package but it doesn't help. It may be a problem with some sddm theme I applied. There don't seem to be any lock files by the xserver in my home directory either. What do I do?

Code: Select all
$ systemsettings5
Cyclic dependency detected between "file:///usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/qt5/qml/org/kde/kirigami.2/styles/org.kde.desktop.plasma/Units.qml" and "file:///usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/qt5/qml/org/kde/kirigami.2/styles/org.kde.desktop.plasma/Units.qml"
file:///usr/share/kpackage/genericqml/org.kde.systemsettings.sidebar/contents/ui/SubCategoryPage.qml:142:9: QML Connections: Implicitly defined onFoo properties in Connections are deprecated. Use this syntax instead: function onFoo(<arguments>) { ... }
file:///usr/share/kpackage/genericqml/org.kde.systemsettings.sidebar/contents/ui/SubCategoryPage.qml:132:9: QML Connections: Implicitly defined onFoo properties in Connections are deprecated. Use this syntax instead: function onFoo(<arguments>) { ... }
file:///usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/qt5/qml/org/kde/kirigami.2/private/RefreshableScrollView.qml:137:13: QML Connections: Implicitly defined onFoo properties in Connections are deprecated. Use this syntax instead: function onFoo(<arguments>) { ... }
file:///usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/qt5/qml/org/kde/kirigami.2/private/RefreshableScrollView.qml:137:13: QML Connections: Implicitly defined onFoo properties in Connections are deprecated. Use this syntax instead: function onFoo(<arguments>) { ... }
Cyclic dependency detected between "file:///usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/qt5/qml/org/kde/kirigami.2/styles/org.kde.desktop.plasma/Units.qml" and "file:///usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/qt5/qml/org/kde/kirigami.2/styles/org.kde.desktop.plasma/Units.qml"
QQmlEngine::setContextForObject(): Object already has a QQmlContext
file:///usr/share/kpackage/genericqml/org.kde.systemsettings.sidebar/contents/ui/introPage.qml:109:27: QML IntroIcon (parent or ancestor of QQuickLayoutAttached): Binding loop detected for property "minimumHeight"
file:///usr/share/kpackage/genericqml/org.kde.systemsettings.sidebar/contents/ui/introPage.qml:109:27: QML IntroIcon (parent or ancestor of QQuickLayoutAttached): Binding loop detected for property "minimumHeight"
KCrash: crashing... crashRecursionCounter = 2
KCrash: Application Name = systemsettings5 path = /usr/bin pid = 75806
KCrash: Arguments: /usr/bin/systemsettings5
Alarm clock

and no,
Code: Select all
$ systemsettings5 --style=Breeze
doesn't help either.