This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

Continuous Network Problems

Tags: network, help network, help network, help
(comma "," separated)
hughudge
Registered Member

Continuous Network Problems

Thu Mar 11, 2021 2:07 pm
Hi there,

After having huge issues with Windows I decided to dual boot my system and now run KDE Neon 20.04. Everything was going well accept for some persistent network issues I’m experiencing. My computer will constantly drop off the network or report limited connectivity. The only way to fix this that I have found is to disconnect from the network and then reconnect, but then the problem will occur again, and again. I do not believe this to be a router issue as other devices stay connected okay.

Is there anyway to fix this? Thanks
Mamarok
Manager
OS

Re: Continuous Network Problems

Thu Mar 11, 2021 9:16 pm
What kind of network? WiFi, LAN? On a PC or a Laptop? What kind of networking card is in the device, does it have proper firmware loaded?

Most network problems are hardware related, I suggest you check your networking hardware first.

Running Kubuntu 22.10 with Plasma 5.26.3, Frameworks 5.100.0, Qt 5.15.6, kernel 5.19.0-23 on Ryzen 5 4600H, AMD Renoir, X11
FWIW: it's always useful to state the exact Plasma version (+ distribution) when asking questions, makes it easier to help ...
picard12
Registered Member
OS

Sun Apr 25, 2021 5:41 am
I encountered this issue after a fresh kdeneon install. Before i used another distro without no wifi problem.
pilotko
Registered Member

Thu Jun 03, 2021 4:46 pm
Hi all, same problem here. I'm using laptop dell latitude e7440. Wifi drops or better to specify: wifi stay connected, but with "limited connectivity" notification.
Sometimes it took 2 hours, sometimes sooner.. even during watching videos or browsing internet networking practically stops. When i've tried ping, its result in:
ping: www.google.com: Temporary failure in name resolution
And I need to reconnect to resolve the issue.
I'am using a lot of others distros on this PC (manjaro, win10, etc..) and I had never such problems. So I am sure it's not a HW issue. Must be a driver issue, or ?
Thanks for help. I like KDE Neon right out of the box :)
picard12
Registered Member
OS

Fri Jun 04, 2021 3:40 am
I solved this issue using manjaro kde.
hexfive
Registered Member

Fri Jun 18, 2021 3:16 am

Last edited by hexfive on Sat Jun 19, 2021 4:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
claydoh
Registered Member
OS

Fri Jun 18, 2021 1:52 pm
hexfive wrote:This is not a hardware issue, this is a software issue a bug I assume. I experienced intermittent networking with KDE Neon while a dual boot on same hardware with Ubuntu desktop this was not an issue.
KDE Neon plasma desktop was the only system on my LAN that experienced this issue.
Wired networking issue since I do not have KDE Neon installed on laptop.
https://userbase.kde.org/NetworkManagement

Was your experience with the latest Ubuntu (21.04), or was it the same version that Neon is based on (20.04 LTS)?
It probably is a hardware issue, with the newer kernel in the latest Ubuntu supporting your network card better.

However even Ubuntu LTS has a newer kernel than Neon's base, at the moment. 5.8 versus the 5.4. Neon seem to be testing 5.8 in the Unstable version, so we might get that soon.
Or get it now: https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Kernel/LTSEnabl ... ack#Server

claydoh, proud to be a member of KDE forums since 2008-Oct, and KDE user since 2001
hexfive
Registered Member

Fri Jun 18, 2021 2:54 pm
This post is made under the assumption that KDE plasma 5 desktop has an issue or bug with network connectivity.
This previous post was using Ubuntu 20.04 because KDE neon 20.04 was constantly displaying network connectivity warnings.
Today KDE neon has not displayed the network connectivity warnings yet, but this may have been caused by a router setting.
What are the triggers or flags that cause network connectivity warnings within KDE Plasma 5 desktop?
Hardware
NIC: Intel Ethernet I219-V
Software
Ubuntu 20.04 & KDE neon version 20.04 both on Kernel Version: 5.8.0-55