This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

Mozilla's Firefox and Thunderbird make my fan running on max

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
freeswfan
Registered Member
OS
Dear developpers,

using KDE neon 5.21 in the X11 version, my preferred browser and my preferred mail application are made by Mozilla.

This is my system information:
Operating System: KDE neon 5.21 User Edition
KDE Plasma Version: 5.21.2, also not working in 5.21.3
KDE Frameworks Version: 5.79.0 also not working in 5.80.0
Qt Version: 5.15.2
Kernel Version: 5.4.0-66-generic also not working on 5.4.0.70-generic
OS Type: 64-bit
Graphics Platform: X11
In the laptop you can find this Processor: 8 × Intel® Core™ i7-3632QM CPU @ 2.20GHz
Memory: 3.7 GiB of RAM
Graphics Processor: Mesa DRI Intel® HD Graphics 4000
Docking station
22" Monitor

[bug]
After a short time of running either Firefox or Thunderbird the fan is turning to the max speed. After having finished both of them the fan turns back to normal speed.
With the application "VLC" I found the same behavior.
[/bug]

Additionally I found out, that after having used "Discover" to get KDE up-to-date, the fan is starting soon to run on max speed, independently which application I'm running. After having run
Code: Select all
powertop --calibrate

Awfully I didn't find out, which of the apps or Libs are causing this "speed up the fan", because there are always many updates in "Discover".
The settings, which were disturbed by the update are set back to suitable values, and the fan is going back to normal speed again.
Thanks to the forum, where I found this great hint!

[bug]
Because I'm using Firefox / Thunderbird the first time in the installation mode "snap" the suggested paths in both programs to save Downloads or Attachments are no more working as comfortable as in former times, where applications were installed in /usr/bin or /usr/sbin. Seems together with the snap feature, the bridge between Mozilla's programming model and KDE is not implemented carefully enough.
[/bug]

What can I do, that the annoying behavior of my fan is no more coming up?
How can I help the developer to give him some hints about this behavior?

By the way: what happened to KDE? It was my favorite look and feel for many years now, having started with SuSE Linux 6.3! And it worked without bothering features as stated above! It was just reliable. Also the Update tool would have gotten the name "Diskover" ;)

Is there anybody who can tell me some background?

Thanks a lot in advance for your kind support,

best regards,

FreeSwFan