This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

KDA neon how to change administrator username

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
culann
Registered Member
Inside of KDA neon how would I change my administrator username every time I try it always says an error has occurred it has given me a username I will not remember
koffeinfriedhof
Registered Member
OS
Hi!

You have to create a second user with sudo-permission, then completely logout the first one and change the name with `[sudo] usermod --login new_name old_name`. This will NOT change the group name, you have to rename it separately. It also does not care about renaming folders, config files or other documents using the full path instead of $HOME oder ~. and it does not change your homedir either.
culann
Registered Member
I haven't had a chance to change anything yet because I can't even log into the system with my account screen just goes black and then it brings me back to the same exact login page no error message
koffeinfriedhof
Registered Member
OS
Sounds like you played with sudo.
Open a tty with ctrl-alt-F3 (or whatever is free), login as your user. If possible, check file owner in your homefolder using
`find $HOME ! -user $USER -ls`
If there is no output, everything is fine¹. If any use
`sudo chown -R your_username /home/your_username`

In case you had files owned by root remember: Never use sudo with graphical tools. Then change back to tty1 with ctrl-alt-F1, or F7 or wherever your displaymanager is running.

¹: consider querying the logfiles if there is no output to get an idea of where it fails using
`journalctl -b -xep 4`