This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

I cannot change the default setting for my web browser.

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
kevinyzd
Registered Member
Hi guys,

I'm new to Linux and KDE neon. I have got a problem recently that I cannot change my default web browser either through browser or system settings.

I am using Firefox. Every time I open up Firefox it will always pop up an dialogue saying "Firefox is not your default browser...." so I clicked on set Firefox as default browser. but it didn't work. I'm getting the same dialogue.

So I went to system settings -> Applications -> Default Applications, and found there are two options in the Web browser drop down menu: "Firefox" and "Firefox Web Browser." I tried to change it to "Firefox Web Browser" but the browser still shows the same dialogue I was getting earlier. The setting in Default Applications would go back to "Firefox" as well.

None of the settings work. I can't seem to find any useful information about this case online.

Thank you so much if you know how to fix it.
kevinyzd
Registered Member
Does anyone know the solution? :)
hsnnsnc
Registered Member
OS
kevinyzd wrote:Does anyone know the solution? :)

Hello,

As far as I know, this is a problem that has been around for a long time and for which no healthy solution has been found.

I'm having the same problem and I'm ignoring the problem because I can't find a solution.
apachelogger
KDE Developer
OS
robobob
Registered Member
Hi,
I have KDE Neon and had the same problem.
The advice - link below - did the trick.
--> update-alternatives (ubuntu)
The problem is not KDE Neon - specific but ubuntu - specific.
One thing is not mentioned in the article: you have to change the path of the application to /usr/bin/firefox in the menu/launcher afterwards. First delete the entries in the Favorites as they will not update properly. After you have changed the path of the application launcher in the menu "internet" to "/usr/bin/firefox" you can add firefox the Favorites again.
Then it works.

https://www.dedoimedo.com/computers/fir ... owser.html