This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

KDE Neon RAM resource usage

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
razorrob
Registered Member

KDE Neon RAM resource usage

Tue Sep 14, 2021 12:49 pm
Hi

I'm new to Neon, recently installed it.
I'm finding the RAM usage very high as compared the Kubuntu which I was using previously ... is this normal and expected?

Operating System: KDE neon 5.22
KDE Plasma Version: 5.22.4
KDE Frameworks Version: 5.85.0
Qt Version: 5.15.3
Kernel Version: 5.11.0-27-generic (64-bit)
Graphics Platform: X11
Processors: 8 × Intel® Core™ i7-2630QM CPU @ 2.00GHz
Memory: 7,7 GiB of RAM
Graphics Processor: Mesa DRI Intel® HD Graphics 3000

claydoh
Registered Member
OS

Re: KDE Neon RAM resource usage

Tue Sep 14, 2021 2:22 pm
Part of this is the new system monitor reports the usage differently than the old one
install and run KSysGuard and compare the two on neon.
Better, use top, htop, or free to compare both systems for more comparable figures, by using identical tools.
You will see all the different tools will report things differently, the new System Monitor does appear to show higher figures for ram than others.

Here is a screenshot showing the difference between the two monitors.

https://i.imgur.com/8RrY2vb.png

claydoh, proud to be a member of KDE forums since 2008-Oct, and KDE user since 2001
grumpfel
Registered Member

Tue Sep 14, 2021 2:59 pm
Generally don't compare Memory usage like on Windows System. Linux always allocated the complete memory and each process gets its memory allocated. The memory usage on the graphical interfaces is always a synthetic calculated value, that not indicate a real memory usage. Better to look the usage of memory of each single process.
razorrob
Registered Member

Tue Sep 14, 2021 3:34 pm
grumpfel wrote:Generally don't compare Memory usage like on Windows System. Linux always allocated the complete memory and each process gets its memory allocated. The memory usage on the graphical interfaces is always a synthetic calculated value, that not indicate a real memory usage. Better to look the usage of memory of each single process.

Hi thanks for reply.
I wasnt comparing it to windows, I was comparing it to Previously used Kubuntu
razorrob
Registered Member

Tue Sep 14, 2021 3:34 pm
claydoh wrote:Part of this is the new system monitor reports the usage differently than the old one
install and run KSysGuard and compare the two on neon.
Better, use top, htop, or free to compare both systems for more comparable figures, by using identical tools.
You will see all the different tools will report things differently, the new System Monitor does appear to show higher figures for ram than others.

Here is a screenshot showing the difference between the two monitors.

https://i.imgur.com/8RrY2vb.png

Okay thanks will install KsysGuard and check
Mamarok
Manager
OS

Wed Sep 15, 2021 8:56 am
razorrob wrote:
grumpfel wrote:Generally don't compare Memory usage like on Windows System. Linux always allocated the complete memory and each process gets its memory allocated. The memory usage on the graphical interfaces is always a synthetic calculated value, that not indicate a real memory usage. Better to look the usage of memory of each single process.

Hi thanks for reply.

That was not said in that answer: Memory usage on a Linux system is always allocated dynamically, contrary to other OS like Windows, and graphical visualizations are not reliable as it will only give an approximate idea of the Memory in use. It is also important to take into account the shared memory value which is far more telling than the total one.

In short: the more RAM you have, the more will be available and used, that says nothing about the efficiency and general performance of a Linux system.

Running Kubuntu 22.10 with Plasma 5.26.3, Frameworks 5.100.0, Qt 5.15.6, kernel 5.19.0-23 on Ryzen 5 4600H, AMD Renoir, X11
FWIW: it's always useful to state the exact Plasma version (+ distribution) when asking questions, makes it easier to help ...
razorrob
Registered Member

Mon Sep 27, 2021 5:19 pm
Mamarok wrote:
razorrob wrote:

Hi thanks for reply.

That was not said in that answer: Memory usage on a Linux system is always allocated dynamically, contrary to other OS like Windows, and graphical visualizations are not reliable as it will only give an approximate idea of the Memory in use. It is also important to take into account the shared memory value which is far more telling than the total one.

In short: the more RAM you have, the more will be available and used, that says nothing about the efficiency and general performance of a Linux system.

Okay so,I have an old laptop, 8gig ram only … so no way to properly gauge how much is being used? … seems a bit slow compared when I used KDE on Kubuntu…