This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

KDE Neon won't connect to iPad wifi Hotspot

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
razorrob
Registered Member
Hi, hope someone can help.
I'm new to Neon ... been having number of problems, now most recent is that Neon won't connect (authentication/authorization fail) to my iPad's wifi Hotspot.
It reject the very correct password for my iPad's Hotspot that I've used for ever, even successfully with no issues on Kubuntu previously. I've also successfully connect my Android samsung phone to my iPad's wifi hotspot, no problem there.
Each time I click "connect" to the iPads wifi hotspot, its displays "configuring" for a while, then pops up the Password request box to authenticate ... I've tried over and over in putting in the correct password, but nothing, same continues.
I also attempted restarting both the Neon pc and my iPad and tried again, same issue!
(screenshots below)
I also changed the iPads password and still same issues!

Please help!

Operating System: KDE neon 5.22
KDE Plasma Version: 5.22.5
KDE Frameworks Version: 5.86.0
Qt Version: 5.15.3
Kernel Version: 5.11.0-36-generic (64-bit)
Graphics Platform: X11
Processors: 8 × Intel® Core™ i7-2630QM CPU @ 2.00GHz
Memory: 7,7 GiB of RAM
Graphics Processor: Mesa DRI Intel® HD Graphics 3000
claydoh
Registered Member
OS
I see the connection is set to use WPA3 security. Have you tried changing the iPad to use the more common wpa2 setting?
As I understand it, WPA3 is a new iOS 15 hotspot feature, but not all wifi cards support it.

claydoh, proud to be a member of KDE forums since 2008-Oct, and KDE user since 2001
razorrob
Registered Member
claydoh wrote:I see the connection is set to use WPA3 security. Have you tried changing the iPad to use the more common wpa2 setting?
As I understand it, WPA3 is a new iOS 15 hotspot feature, but not all wifi cards support it.

Hi there ... I wouldnt have a clue how to change it ... not even sure if it is possible ... the hotspot has very simple on/off and 'share with others" option ... nothing i know of that can change the security type.
As mentioned my Android phone manages to connect no problem, is there not a way to update Neon to be able to use the new WPA3 security?
I tried changing the KDE network configuration to WPA2 but didnt work.
claydoh
Registered Member
OS
razorrob wrote:
claydoh wrote:I see the connection is set to use WPA3 security. Have you tried changing the iPad to use the more common wpa2 setting?

Hi there ... I wouldnt have a clue how to change it ... not even sure if it is possible ... the hotspot has very simple on/off and 'share with others" option ... nothing i know of that can change the security type.
As mentioned my Android phone manages to connect no problem, is there not a way to update Neon to be able to use the new WPA3 security?
I tried changing the KDE network configuration to WPA2 but didnt work.

It may be at he hardware level, not the OS level. Your older laptop's WiFi probably does not have support for this at all.
For example, only these Intel WiFi cards support it:
https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en ... eless.html

I have no idea if/how one can change this in iOS.

claydoh, proud to be a member of KDE forums since 2008-Oct, and KDE user since 2001